Who's replaced their harmonic balancer

mystang94gt

Jun 14, 2004
Bay Area, CA
So I'm under my car last w/e swapping out my corroded (sp?) battery cables when I notice that my Harmonic Balance has rubber sticking out the back. I've heard this is a sure sign that its bad and I think it would explain my rough idle and pinging issues. So I'm looking to replace it but funds are tight. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a GOOD reliable replacement one for a decent price. I was looking at this one just not sure about the quality. TIA.

http://secure.50resto.com/product1.cfm?SID=1&Product_ID=1733

• Sponsors (?)

I like how the one above (in the link) has the black cover with white timing marks. Seems like it would be real easy to set your timing. Just not sure about the brand. :shrug: but its the same price as the stock replacement.

I was staged to race a 2000 body style GT and when I gave him a rev.... I heard an thunking noise that changed as the engine RPMs did. He rolled down his window and said, "Better get that checked out, I'll catch you later." I replied thanks and limped home.

EVERYONE thought it was my water pump. We put a stethescope on it and it just sounded like it was the impreller. I ordered one and when we went to change it the bottom bolt was hard to get off... the reason being was the dampener had beat the crap out of it. Like this ---> :bang:

Took back the water pump and got a stock replacement dampener.... and never found that GT again. :notnice:

I just got an OEM replacement balancer for my 93 from 50resto...for $80 bucks and it is very nice...50oz...it is sitting right beside me...waiting to be installed...

Good Luck with your choice

i need a new one too, i have a really bad viberation it vibrates so bad that when the car is in first gear in the high rpms it pops out, i was told a new harmonic balanver was needed. i just hope that would fix the problem i know it's not my trans cuz that was just rebuilt

I replaced mine with a Ford one from the dealer but I like the one in the link you posted it should be easier to check you're timing with clearly marked lines like that one rather than using whiteout or something yourself.

wytstang said:
Last I checked 50resto did not have them in stock you should call them first. I got mine from www.c-f-m.com they had them in stock and the PP balancer is a nice buget peice I'm very happy with mine. Oh you will need to buy the spacer for it you will need it. CFM sells it seperatly(sp?) while I think 50resto included it in there price.

Yeah 50resto didn't have the OEM balancer in stock...they backordered it for me...I received within a week still...