Why do I keep breaking valve springs???

nick6690

Mar 2, 2008
McDonough, GA
I've had a problem with breaking valve springs on my motor and I can't figure out what the problem is. I have AFR 185's #1492, a Comp xe282hr cam and comp pro magnum 1.6 rocker arms. When I had the heads converted to stud-mount, the machine shop put in comp springs, I'm not sure of the seat pressure but about a year after driving the car, I broke one of those. The machine shop gave me another one to put in. I broke another one of the comp springs about a month ago so I put a whole new set of Crane springs in and Friday night at the track I broke one of those and the valve dropped and hit the piston, bending the valve and scarring the piston a little bit. It's not just one valve or cylinder that's been the problem. I've had an exhaust one break, an intake break and all have been on a different cylinder. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you're over-revving it alot, I'd say the pushrods are too long and smashing the springs. If that's the case, you better get it fixed or the rocker arms will be the next thing breaking.