Why do I keep thinking I'm doing this wrong?

Dbeck002

Apr 30, 2005
South florida
Alright I'm ready to tighten down my rockers.

I adjusted the guideplates and torqued them down so that the rockers are as close to center as possible. I have a set of hardened pushrods too. I'm ready to tighten down the rockers and assemble the topend.

Heres what im doing, i lay the rocker down on the stud and let it sit on the valve stem and pushrod. I screw on the nut whilst rotating the pushrod with my fingertips and stop tightening the nut when i can no longer rotate the pushrod. Then i turn the nut another half a turn. I screw in the allen bolt and torque it down making sure the nut doesnt move. Is that all there is to it? I keep thinking im messing up.

By the way the plunger in the lifter gets depressed about an 1/8" after im done. Is this normal? Should i prime the system with an oil pump bit and drill first?

thanks. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

well, you're partially right, there's a sequence to adjusting the rockers for their initial lash...ck here

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=techarticle&id=2&PHPSESSID=83c93777d2bc0ba9f80f431eaf8e0616

hope this helps out, it'll give you a basic understanding of how you set the lash, and why...

edit: proper lifter preload should be between 0.020"-0.060" (this is where the 1/2 to full turn comes in)
I like to run mine on the loose side so there's less chance of lifter pump-up...but do what works best for you...

Ok im pretty much done but i have one last question.

The whole purpose of the finger twisting the pushrod and one more full turn test is to get the right lifter preload. The crane website says it should be between 0.020" and 0.060". As long as i can get within that preload there is no need for that manual test. Right now my lifters preload looks to be within those values. Any comments on this?