why do some racers not use rear sway?

70vert said:
this is a great thread. Having NO racing experience, but able to understand the theory, I would assume that a cool-headed driver wouldn't let up on the throttle or apply brake in this situation. Better to drift the rear a bit knowing the weight is back there where it needs to be at the time than brake or let off throttle in this neutral-handling car, right? Brake before turn, then power through turn.

I imagine the decreasing radius turn would put a big pucker factor in there, though . . .
Right arm. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

ok

yes but they keep the side movement down a bit(the tm's).
when you say adjustable sway bars what do you mean...i mean my bars you can put different length spacers so the bar is in the correct position, and you can move the frame brackets a bit, but if this addco bar isnt what you are talking about i sure would like to see a pic of an adjustable one.

adjustable sway bars are where you change the length of the arm on the bar, or more accurately where the suspension pressure is applied to the arm. the closer to the bar, the quicker the arm reacts to twisting, and the stiffer the sway bar becomes. conversely the longer the arm the softer the bar becomes.

I went to the Historics races at Laguna Seca this past weekend and did some lap times on the Vintage Mustangs. The top cars were faster than my best lap time, some of the cars were slower. I would be middle of the pack from what I saw. I'm OK with that. I like the rear tires to grip, not slide. As far as a neutral feel to the car, a good driver can get most any car into a nice looking 4 wheel drift, even a front wheel drive car. The person behind the wheel has to know what they are capable of. My wifes best time in our car is a 2:15 around Laguna, mine's 1:53. She does a great job and can out drive several cars in her group, but that's still over 20sec. off my time, in the same car. I think a driving school will help your lap times more than any part you put on your car. My wife's had one driving school and I have had two. The better of a driver you become, the more you can run on the edge of the car. Radial tires and rear sway bars push the edge farther away, but make it a lot sharper, IMO.

(edit) - By the way, our car has full interior and is driven to and from the track.

John

DarkoStoj said:
what is the cause of understeer?
Understeer is the same as push or tight, understeer is loose. Understeer is when the rear tires have better traction in the turn that the fronts, oversteer is when the fronts have more traction which can cause the rear to become loose and come around.

General rule of thimb is that a loose race-car is faster than a tight one, but the driver has to be more carefull since a loose car will more likely put you into the wall or sand trap than a tight one which is more predictable and easier to recover from a mistake with.