Why do u guys think the 96-98 4.6's are a joke??

TurboSaleen#163 said:
I have a 97 4.6 with a TDC turbo kit.It put at the wheels 443rwhp and 496rwtq with nothing done to the motor.Im worried if I do anything to the motor like PI swap or even a TB I might risk blowing up the 4.6.Considering the car put out around 180-190 to the wheels.That is a big HP difference.Im told I am pretty much at the max now without blowing the motor.
Those are pretty badass numbers regardless.

• Sponsors (?)

TurboSaleen#163 said:
I have a 97 4.6 with a TDC turbo kit.It put at the wheels 443rwhp and 496rwtq with nothing done to the motor.Im worried if I do anything to the motor like PI swap or even a TB I might risk blowing up the 4.6.Considering the car put out around 180-190 to the wheels.That is a big HP difference.Im told I am pretty much at the max now without blowing the motor.

go with forged internals, then you can get the PI Headswap. and drop the compression. besides your putting a chance on that motor with all the power. it's only a matter of time before it goes.

mrvax said:
I for one am glad I did the PI headswap. I got the whole PI package at one time. It was fairly expensive but the car is very different now. It really pulls surprisingly hard now.
i see you got 3.73's. why didn't you opt'd for the 4.10's?

Milenko said:
How much does the whole headswap usually run? (with and without installation price)

a complete kit from Parkway Ford is $1340, i've seen cheaper and more. or you can get everything individual for cheaper, like ebay.

squares98 said:
what are pi swapped cars running in the 1/4. Since my 98gt turned a 14.9 stock, would it be a consistant low 13 high 12 second car.

See sig.
Before the headswap, the best 1/4 time was 14.87 @ 95mph
That was shifting from 1st to 2nd at 5200rpm and then shifting about 4800 rpm
I made about 50 passes, varying the shift points, and this worked the best. Anything after 5000rpm, it would just fall flat on it's face.
I haven't had chance to try different things since the headswap, I only got in 1 run down the track before we got rained out. Now that winter is here I'll have to wait till spring to see if I can drop my times a bit.

I was preparing to post an inquiry regarding my wife's 97Gt when this thread caught my eye. Her car has been virtually maintainence free, but it has many miles on it. If I were to replace the engine with a later model SOHC engine, would the computer and harnesses be compatible? How involved is a PI head swap? I have never disassembled a mod motor; all my experience is with Windsor-family engines. Thanks in advance.

TurboSaleen#163 said:

First off those are amazing #'s for a NPI car to be putting out with only a turbo on it. Like tomustang said go with forged internals asap, if u got the money get a new forged crank also, most people say its good up to 500 but I think thats pushing it a bit. Your car will be even meaner once u get that crappy ass intake off of there and put a nice PI intake on there and the heads will help alot also.

I got my PI stuff for the prices listed all the stuff has 15K miles on it
PI heads = $550
PI cams = $90
PI intake = $130 (came with new injectors, fuel rails, and TB)

Some of you have to understand. At the end of the day the 99+GTs are better in performance stock for stock vs the 96-98s.

Sure in my 96 GT m5 I beat 99+GTs, cobras, ls1, low modded. I beat them only because either they were spinning to much, snoozing, i stole the hit, or hell all 3.

O and I did know how to drive that SOHC motor too.

Options are endless I could do with my 4.6.But This is not my race car.This is my daily driver.I have a F-body to race with.With a 383LT-4 with 16lbs of boost.If anything would happen with the motor then I would do forged internals and take my boost to 16PSi which the T4 should be able to do.
Im not really a Mustang person and I think the 96-98 4.6 is a joke only putting out 215-225hp.Hell I had a GTZ with a 2.3 that put 180hp down stock.4cyl.Ford finally made a nice motor with the 03-04 cobras.Hopefully they will stick with it.

Sorry but I have a F-body and kinda lost respect for the Mustangs.I do love my Saleen though.

well i dont have PI heads on my daily driver ,and mine makes good power 650.2rwhp 556 tq.. so i would say it all depends on what your going to do to your motor or your car. na/sc/turbo. The pro 5.0 car running a mod motor is a stock casting 97 4.6 and stock casting head from a 98. with valve trane work done... i believe that his fastest pass is a 6.8? @ 185 shutting it down ... or somewhere in that ball park

both of these cars are non pi mine on top and buddys on the bottom
http://www.houseofboost.com/members.jasonk.html
http://www.houseofboost.com/members.ea.html

It doesn't matter how many times that the non-PI cams & Intake are proven to be the bottle neck. Anyone that has done a headswap thinks that they are the $hit. But they are comparing a car that has 10.5:1 compression vs 9:1. If the combo's were exactly the same the numbers would not be any different whatsoever.

For the guys that are wanting to remain non-PI please click on the link in my sig.

I don't think anyone of us are trying to say that the pi swap wouldn't be a big improvement on our cars, and we all know the NPI heads cams and intake are more restrictive. what we are trying to say is although the 96-98gt's are slower then 99+, there not as bad as most people think. with a good driver, a well maintained 96-98 can be a fast car. I would love to do a swap on my car, but I have a lot of miles on my car, and wouldn't feel safe to put more stress on an engine that old. instead I decide to save the money for a 4v engine.