why do X pipes sound "bad"??

sixstringthing

Aug 11, 2003
Why do X-Pipes supposedly sound so "bad" on a 4.6? What is it that sounds bad? Too high pitched? Rasp? They get such a bad rep but at the same time Ive heard nothing but good things about people with UPR and Dr. Gas X pipes, so are the arguments against X's only against chambered ones?

• Sponsors (?)

I love mine too! I hated them when I had my 2chamber flowmasters... but now that I have my 2.5 magnaflow cat-back with 3.5" tips... it sounds AWESOME! I can feel the power too, nice sotp feel! With an X-Pipe, even more so with an o/r piece, you need straight through mufflers to get the sound....

THe argument is actually about combining an X-Pipe with chambered mufflers. I don't know how that makes sense either, cuz my car sounded amazing. It droned and rumbled down low like an H-pipe and around 4-5k, it sounded like it was eating little babies (extremely pissed off and loud) lol

Just my opinion.... o/r x with 2 chamber flowmasters VERY loud and Raspy even at 2k RPMs.... you couldn't even drive around the quiet neighborhoods without waking everyone up... some people like this sound though - I am just not one of them :)

Now, I will tell you @ WOT - look out - it sure did sound mean!

I just think the magnaflows attached to offroad x-pipe sounds deep and powerfull at low RPMs and gentle acceleration... but stomp on it and WOT screams with a powerful growl!

As for why the rasp with chambers.... :shrug:

sixstringthing said:
Why do X-Pipes supposedly sound so "bad" on a 4.6?
Remember, what sounds bad is all just personal opinion. What I think sounds good might sound like to ass to someone else. Best bet for you is to go to your local track or car hangout and listen to different exhaust combos. If you like how something sounds, ask the owner what he's running. :nice:

Hell, every Friday here, everyone gathers at a local spot and shows off their car. Try and find something like that in your area.....

MinGrey01GT said:
I ran just an x pipe for 2 days on my 03 cobra... louder than all hell with just straight pipes. They don't necessarily sound bad if you combo them with a nice set of mufflers... I have my combo, and it's worked out very well.
What kind of #'s do you have with your setup?

I had the same setup on my 01' GT as I do on my Cobra. I love the raspy mean as hell sound. I can't wait for the headers :spot:

Firemanz said:
Remember, what sounds bad is all just personal opinion. What I think sounds good might sound like to ass to someone else. Best bet for you is to go to your local track or car hangout and listen to different exhaust combos. If you like how something sounds, ask the owner what he's running. :nice:

Hell, every Friday here, everyone gathers at a local spot and shows off their car. Try and find something like that in your area.....

Excellent advice..Personally, I love my XPIPE. I liked it better when had had the 2 chamber FMasters.. but, was too loud for ME. Some people didn't think it was all that loud. But, when the top is up, and you're having to shout to the person sitting next you.. it's time to change. So I did, for that reason only. I really like my MAGNAFLOWS, nice and quiet. ( Except at WOT :nice: )

Who gives a rats ass what it sounds like I am in it for performance.
If I get the Performance I want then sound is secondary. If it just happens to please someone elses ears that is a bonus but not a priority.
PS I like the screaming for mercy sound.

Dwayne

tewetzel said:
I see that BBK makes an x-pipe for longtubes. But I've read in some threads that a lot of people had bad luck w/ the bbk x. Is the Dr. Gas a better pipe? Of course it would have to be custom welded...
No personal experience with Dr. Gas, but from what ive heard here on SN, its an awesome sounding pipe. T&J does a lot of the Dr. Gas but they use 2 chamber flowmasters and it sounds AWESOME! Its loud and ballsy sounding. I remember someone with a red mustang posting up a soundclip of a dr gas a short while back. Just do a search.

sixstringthing -- as others stated, what's "bad" for some will be wicked for others. And vis versa.

The setups w/off-roads depends on the combination of the cat-back/mufflers and headers. Personal opinions vary. Listening to every darn sound clip available helped me a little bit, but as "Firemanz" stated, go find some people and listen to their setup in person. You'll be very happy you did.

I really love my setup . . . just bad a$$ true American Muscle sound. :nice:

I love my X pipe! Awesome sound. Just DO NOT combine an offroad X with straight throughs. I had that setup and it sounded like a freight train. Loud as hell, but not GOOD loud.. Ugly sounding loud.

jas142 - again - its an opinion... my o/r x with magnaflows sound deep and quiet at idle and easy shifts.... but get on it.. and it is very impressive... everyone around here loves it... 100% opinion on this matter... how loud do you want it... do you want it deep or high pitched, do you like a lot of rasp or not? I like the low growl my setup makes. This is a little chart I used before I bought my setup:

h w/cats and chamber mufflers = nice deep quiet classic sound with mild WOT
h w/o cats and chamber mufflers = much louder, not too raspy, classic sound loudWOT
x w/cats and chamber mufflers = higher pitched exotic sound with mild WOT
x w/o cats and chamber mufflers = very loud, high pitched, exotic sound lots of rasp

switching to straight through type mufflers like magnaflows drives the sound a bit deeper, especially at low RPMs, but WOT is very aggresive. Interior noice drops down quite a bit... with flowmasters, I couldn't hear my supercharger whine any more... with magnaflows... I can... if your behind me... wow.. the sound is very loud and aggresive... not smooth like a ricer... very bubbly and growling like...

Pick the one that is right for you, not other people... you are the one driving the car!

some people like zero exhaust noise so they can sneak up on you... I heard a loud jet engine whine last night... sounded wicked hellish... as it got closer to me it was a firebird firehawk with a pro-charger and stock exhaust... he said he loves sneaking up on people and would rather here is supercharger whine than a rumbly exhuast... some people are different :)

BTW - we didn't run but might tonight at the local 1/8 mile track.... I think he will be tough compeition...