why is my car hard to shift?

fordguy87

Jul 15, 2005
PA
well its done this before but i have a t-5 and its now hard for me to get the car through the gears. I can get it out of first but when i go to shift into 2nd i have to pull it pretty hard and the same with the other gears they just wont go into the gear unless i pretty much slam it ... I dont know if i need a new clutch cable or something like that ... any ideas??

• Sponsors (?)

c0uld be a few different things. where d0es the clutch engage? if its really l0w t0 the fl00r than its pr0bably a clutch cable. if its n0t that than the clutch is either n0t disengaging 0r the pil0t bearing is l0cked up and turning the input shaft

I had this same problem yesterday. Here's my thread.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=648969

It turned out to be a broken clutch cable sheath.

I'd check your clutch cable sheath, then get a new cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster, because those are relatively easy to replace, and are the most common causes of this problem.

As a check, put your car in 1st, push the clutch pedal to the floor, let off the brake, and see if the car rolls forward. If it does, then the clutch is not disengaging.

I have this to put in but i dont have a cable or firewall adjuster yet. Picked this up at a swap meet for $1.00 lol Its a Ford Racing quadrant.
19623430470.jpg

fordguy87 said:
I have this to put in but i dont have a cable or firewall adjuster yet. Picked this up at a swap meet for $1.00 lol Its a Ford Racing quadrant.
19623430470.jpg
Do some research first. Some of the Ford/SVO quadrants wont accept a stock non-adjustable cable; you have to use an adjustable cable. I ran the Ford adjustable cable (came with my SVO quad) and it worked well.

Good luck.

everyone running a factory clutch quadrent is going to have to replace it some time. stupid ford and the plastic part. it strips and gives you the exact problems you are describing. i used to have to pull my car over when on the highway and adjust the quadrent so that i could shift. I replaced it with a bbk piece and no problems since.

If the stock quadrant is still good,pulling up on the pedal doesn`t always work to self adjust.

If it won`t adjust by pulling up on the pedal,push up on the plastic hook that hangs down on the quadrant with you finger.
If theres slack in the cable you should hear a click or two.

I got a one hook quadrant with no adjustable anything and the pedal had a small dead zone but works fine. Im sure you can crimp something onto the cable where it goes into the tranny to adjust it permanently.

Ghost001 said:
I had this same problem yesterday. Here's my thread.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=648969

As a check, put your car in 1st, push the clutch pedal to the floor, let off the brake, and see if the car rolls forward. If it does, then the clutch is not disengaging.

Are you saying that if you are at a red light up hill, that if you have the clutch in and its in gear, that if you dont hold the brake your car wont move....How does that statement make any sense?