Why upgrade the alternator?

• Sponsors (?)

The 3g is a better over all alt. But if you do not plan on elec fans etc its not necessary. If you ever need to replace the alt: I WOULD CONSIDER DOING THE SWAP ANYHOW.

My car has been stock electrical wise since new except for a small (40W) EQB. I burned out (melted) the stock alternator connectors when I still had the stock one and the replacement connector even had some charring on it when I replaced it years later. My second stock style replacement alternator froze up so I just swapped to the 3G. IMO if you are going to buy a replacement alternator, why not go ahead and upgrade it. If you end up with a big amp/elec fan/ etc, then do the wiring upgrade also.

In between the 3 foxes that I have had I have burned up 4 2G alternators. None of them had much in the way of electrical upgrades, i.e. fans, huge stereo systems and such.

I would wait for the stocker to fail and then swap a 3G in. No reason to pull a part that is functioning properly if you don't have to.

In between the 3 foxes that I have had I have burned up 4 2G alternators

That made me recall something important. The 2g alt that came on the fox has an issue with burning up the big plug on the alt. If it burns up it can either short or worse case scenerio catch on fire. Keep an eye on the plug. 3g eleminates the burning plug issue.

most 3gs have an internl fan plus they have a lot of small holes in the front of them... The 2gs have an external fan and are one solid piece. Look at the 94-95 alternator its 3g and its basically standard of what they look like. I've seen them on a lot of other vehicles too its just the bracket is easier to swap directly from certain cars taurus, 94-95 stang etc...

2G - external fan and plug in connector on side of case for power leads:

abq.jpg

3G - internal fan and stud on rear to bolt on power lead:

76.jpeg

In between the 3 foxes that I have had I have burned up 4 2G alternators

That made me recall something important. The 2g alt that came on the fox has an issue with burning up the big plug on the alt. If it burns up it can either short or worse case scenerio catch on fire. Keep an eye on the plug. 3g eleminates the burning plug issue.

My car has been stock electrical wise since new except for a small (40W) EQB. I burned out (melted) the stock alternator connectors when I still had the stock one and the replacement connector even had some charring on it when I replaced it years later. My second stock style replacement alternator froze up so I just swapped to the 3G. IMO if you are going to buy a replacement alternator, why not go ahead and upgrade it. If you end up with a big amp/elec fan/ etc, then do the wiring upgrade also.

See picture: The plug on bottom with the 2 black wires and one white wire is the one that melts down.
Ford put the blk 2 wires in the plug, these charge the battery and supply the elec system with power. The problem is the 2 wires tie into one wire about 10" below the plug it is barely heavy enough to carry the stock amp load, if you add anything extra to the elec system and it melts down the plug, it becomes a fire hazard/short hazard......

View attachment 335478

So I'm fine... being stock and all. MAYBE I'll consider a new stereo receiver some day. I don't have and cassette tapes anymore... lol. But it does have the fancy equalizer!!

It's stock cuz nothing is wrong with stock. I have a choice to daily drive this Mustang or our 98' Grand Prix. I figured the Mustang would make my daily commute a little more fun.

And I have another Mustang to pour money into when the urge comes.

So I'm fine... being stock and all. MAYBE I'll consider a new stereo receiver some day. I don't have and cassette tapes anymore... lol. But it does have the fancy equalizer!!

It's stock cuz nothing is wrong with stock. I have a choice to daily drive this Mustang or our 98' Grand Prix. I figured the Mustang would make my daily commute a little more fun.

And I have another Mustang to pour money into when the urge comes.

Yes your fine. Just check the plug on the alt and make sure its not burnt. If it is you can buy a new plug for it.

IDK, on hot nights with the A/C blowing full blast and the lights on they would dim at stop lights and you can hear the A/C fan slow down. When I switched to 3G ($45 shipped on ebay) everything worked better and better throttle response, I guess from better spark :shrug:

Simple question...

The car is a stock daily driver... no stereo upgrades or planned.

Is there any reason to do the swap?

Yes, because with your car being so stock, you'll probably NEVER walk out and turn the key and get nothing if you have a good 3G alt and battery. That to me is good enough to switch. It's just more reliable. Plus you know down the road you'll want a better stereo and efan and ignition and all that.

Figure this:
Cold, wet, rainy night with the defroster on, headlights, radio, stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.:
Ignition system & computer = 12 amps
Fuel pump = 12 amps
Exterior lights = 15 amps
Fan (heater or A/C) = 15 amps (can run between 5-25 amps depending on setting)
Radio & instruments = 10 amps
Wipers = 10 amps

That's grand total of 74 amps from a 65 amp alternator. Talk about overdrawn at the bank!

Figure this:
Cold, wet, rainy night with the defroster on, headlights, radio, stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.:
Ignition system & computer = 12 amps
Fuel pump = 12 amps
Exterior lights = 15 amps
Fan (heater or A/C) = 15 amps (can run between 5-25 amps depending on setting)
Radio & instruments = 10 amps
Wipers = 10 amps

That's grand total of 74 amps from a 65 amp alternator. Talk about overdrawn at the bank!

That would explain why the stock plug tends to melt down over time.