why wont my car start?

• Sponsors (?)

OonDeanisS said:
ok so last night i go to start my car and all my accessories got power but the car wouldnt turn over. The starter was getting power though because i could hear it(no center console). When i turn the key all it does is the starter makes noise. a couple clickey noises then a drone. Then it started, but stalled after like 2 minutes, and wouldnt start again. Now today i started it and got it to about 170 degrees and it suddenly just stopped running, RPMs dropped but fuel pump and radio still had power. What the hell is wrong with it? Is it a low battery? alternator? starter? something else?
if your wires are getting hot you may have a bad ground. my 88 gt did that and i grounded the neg battery cable to the power steering bracket and it started just fine after that.

OonDeanisS said:
ok so last night i go to start my car and all my accessories got power but the car wouldnt turn over. The starter was getting power though because i could hear it(no center console). When i turn the key all it does is the starter makes noise. a couple clickey noises then a drone. Then it started, but stalled after like 2 minutes, and wouldnt start again. Now today i started it and got it to about 170 degrees and it suddenly just stopped running, RPMs dropped but fuel pump and radio still had power. What the hell is wrong with it? Is it a low battery? alternator? starter? something else?
about checking the fusible link, probe each side of the wire with a test light to make sure it has current through the link. if its hot on both sides you can rule that out as your problem. hope that helps a little.

I would have replaced the solinoid before the starter. Check your battery cables too.
I chased a starting problem for a day with my old Yota before finding that my battery cable had corrosion under the sleeve. :bang: If I jiggled the cable and bent it, The truck would start no problem. Other times I'd get nothing...
Just something else I thought of. The hot cables made me think of it...
Good Luck :flag:

ok im having similar problems outta mine i replaced the solenoid today twice the first one was bad then my old man was like you did it wrong when i wired it up of course its too cold and dark to go check my grounds right now its got a 2 week old battery thats gone dead so heres my ? does ne one have like a schematic for hooking up the solenoid cause my friend took the old one off and didnt rember where the wires went so which wires go where on the solenoid posts if i can rule out that its not the grounds or solenoid and battery i guess ill have to deal with a new starter and higher output altenator my underdrive pullies are reaking havoc on the altenator like hardly any voltage with the lights and heat on at night ne help would be great