Wideband O2 Sensor?

69shocktower

Nov 5, 2003
Dakotas
Anyone know anything about these? The price range is crazy. Is it worth getting the cheapest just to try? AEM electronics at $85.
My whole top end is aftermarket.

EDIT, Oops. Posted in wrong forum. Mine is an 89. Was just looking for the word "tech"

Thanks
tumblr_od0f1yZC1E1tmedlpo1_540.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Just for anyone that finds this thread. You don't have to buy one of the expensive wideband systems and gauges. I found out you can buy just the sensor and swap out with the stock one but to benefit you probably have to have a programmable chip installed on your ECU and have it tuned. I have a chip waiting so will post when I do that if you're interested you can follow me.

Well that's not at all true, unless you've found a specific sensor I'm not familiar with. For the wideband to function as a switching, narrow-band o2 sensor, the controller has to simulate the voltage output of a narrow-band. If the controller has dual outputs, you can run it as a narrow-band and then also read the wideband output. This is true of the Innovate one I suggested. That wideband controller's output then also needs to go into the computer somewhere (the EGR sensor input is often used), or directly into the tuning computer (if it has serial output) where it can be used in conjunction with the other EEC outputs in data-logs and to perform the tuning onto a piggy-back chip. By itself, installing a wideband O2 sensor in place of a narrow-band isn't going to do anything for you, and won't work to replace the narrow band for the purposes the computer uses it. In a tune you can just use one narrow-band o2 sensor to manage both banks, and then use the other bung for the wideband, but it still needs a controller and a way to get its voltage to the computer used to tune it.

In every case, a controller is required. A wideband also won't physically plug in where a narrow-band does. You don't need a gauge if that was the point of your post, but as most kits contain one for not much more $ than the sensor and controller together, you might as well see the output.

I agree with jozsefsz, 69shocktower's info is not true at all. A wideband sensor will thread into the same bung as the stock sensor but that's as far is it goes, you absolutely need the controller for it to "work".