widest tires in back in stock wheel-wells?

• Sponsors (?)

I know I remember reading somewhere that you can go bigger than 275 with the right wheels

I have 17x8 with 4.75 backspacing. I can get away with another 1.5" of backspacing. I bet you could get a 305 maybe 315 to fit but it would be close. I know people who run 17x9.5 rear tires on 67-68's with not clearance probs.

The biggest factor is how low you want the car. My coupe has 5.94" backspace 18x9s with no spacer and 275/40 tires. The Global West leafs have been dearched an additional 2". The return flange on the wheel openings have been rolled but ironically at this ride height they do not matter much. I was running an 18x10 with 6.37" of backspacing, no spacer, and a 295/35 tire. The top pic shows how far inside the lip that they rubbed on the oustide and if you look real close in the bottom pic you can see where the paint rubbed off in the lower corner of the inside wheelhouse.
136_3645.jpg

136_3644.jpg

Attachments

• 136_3645.jpg
    136_3645.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 775
  • 136_3644.jpg
    136_3644.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,700
As far as ride height is concerned, I like the level it rides now, which is on stock, sagging, rear leafs. I plan to remove a couple leafs and install an air-ride bag over the leaf. This will not only let me change the stiffness of the ride, but also the ride height.

mikemustang289 said:
A 17X9.5 with 6 3/8" of backspace will fit. A 9.5 inch wheel can take a 275 tire and I would guess a 305 would fit as well.

I agree except for the 305 part. Bic-Mac was kind enough to teach us where we'll get in trouble. He pushed the envelope and found the limit. :hail2:

We're only talking here about using a rim that's .5 inches narrower. That's not going to make a 305 fit.

MDinDestin said:
I agree except for the 305 part. Bic-Mac was kind enough to teach us where we'll get in trouble. He pushed the envelope and found the limit. :hail2:

with stock wheel-wells...

and a 55 7/8" shortened rear end with 5" of backspacing :D

17x11's with 315/35/17's
noplatesback5gi.jpg

1stcarshow7cl.jpg

Attachments

• noplatesback5gi.jpg
    noplatesback5gi.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 555
  • 1stcarshow7cl.jpg
    1stcarshow7cl.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 507
12sec67 said:
with stock wheel-wells...

and a 55 7/8" shortened rear end with 5" of backspacing :D

17x11's with 315/35/17's

Whey the need for a shortened rear? Couldn't you just use a wheel with more backspacing?

The wheels look sweet but it doesn't look like you have much suspension travel. I know those rear wheel housing curve upward above the rear lip, seems like the tire would hit there.

Did you modify anything else? Other than the fender lip?

I have been mocking up my 'stang with 275 40 18's. I have lots of clearance, with slightly modified wheelwells, probably 1" gap each out side, and 1 1/2" inside, with partially rolled fender lips

A local tire guy, is pretty interested in my build, and gave me a 315 35 19 to try out. It was too big, I think. I have 1 1/2" lowering springs plus 1" lowering block. I don't want any rubbing. He will give me a couple other sizes to try, when I am ready.

Let's switch it up a little bit... I wanna know how to get the biggest FRONT TIRE on these cars with stock fenders (rolling of lips permitted). I have the 275-40's out back... but I need more grip than the 235's up front are allowing!! Yes, 17" wheels. Is it just a matter of backspacing? What are the mechanical interferences I'd be running into?

CornerCarvin67 said:
Let's switch it up a little bit... I wanna know how to get the biggest FRONT TIRE on these cars with stock fenders (rolling of lips permitted). I have the 275-40's out back... but I need more grip than the 235's up front are allowing!! Yes, 17" wheels. Is it just a matter of backspacing? What are the mechanical interferences I'd be running into?

My question, 100%. I have been working on this.

One thing for sure is that the stock upper control arm and spindle arrangement really limit front wheel/tire width. I've asked griggs if thier setup would allow the 275 and they didnt give me a definate answer except that it might require flares... Then I found this:http://www.jktaylor.org/gallery/griggsinstall
Uses the stock 275-40-17 tires from the 03-04 cobras. 17x9 wheel. My project is long-term, so I might actually bite on the griggs stuff, but it is very pricey :(

Jeff