Fox Will 2 Cats Pass Visual?

dnbonds

Dec 17, 2013
Hampton, VA
Can an '89 GT pass a visual inspection with only 2 cats instead of 4? I'm thinking of getting of O/R pipe and welding 2 flowmaster cats from summit racing. It'll be $100-$200 cheaper, I think, than buying pipes that are catted. I'll probably get a friend to install the cats so I don't have to spend a whole lot of money at an exhaust shop. I'll be getting this done before I bring my fox with me to Tech Training in Mississippi. I wanted to upgrade the stock exhaust to 2.5" piping with a mild tone. Louder than the stock exhaust but not extreme like flowmasters 40s.

My fox is registered in West Virginia and they only have a visual and no sniffer. If they think the exhaust is loud then they can pull out the meter and it can't be over 95db. I would assume if I got stationed in a different state that my fox is still under West Virginian regulations? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I performed TX state inspections. If you brought your car to TX it would have to pass a TX inspection regardless of where it was registered. I know it was a requirement to have an inspection sticker on your vehicle to get on base. I don't know about the visual inspection of your state, but in TX only safety inspection is required on vehicles 25 years or older. It would depend on the inspector, but I seriously doubt they would even know it should have four cats. IF they even get down to look, I'm sure they just make sure its not an off road pipe. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
When I was stationed in VA my car was registered in TX and I had to get a VA sticker and they played by VA rules. This was in the early 2000's. However, I'm back in TX now and I've had a fox and a 95 pass w 2 cats a year or so ago. You'll be ok man, I mean c'mon it's West Va for Pete's sake.

Yeah, Cali is a breed of its own. I've passed smog in Ca with 2 cats. Technically out here I think its supposed to have as many as were originally installed by the OEM. Its a big fine out here if you get caught not running cats. Upwards of $1K I think.

Davis is right. It depends on who is doing the inspection. I've had people not care, and then I've had people look up part numbers on the MAF and ECU to make sure it was OEM equipment. Just depends.

Looks ok to me

cats-in-boxes-10.jpg

Reactions: 1 users