Will a T5 tranny from a 4 cylinder be Ok for a few months?

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
I just scored a good deal i think on a t5 swap in my 88 GT. 600 for everything except clutch, but i just got back from Summit, i picked up the FRPP Cobra Clutch. Now the tranny has 40,000 miles on it but its from a 4 cylinder with the 5.0 pilot bearing. Im told the tranny is very similar to the v8 exept for slightly different gear ratios, and obviously not as strog. Its rated at 240 ft lb of torque to the v8s 265. With the tranny im planning on mid 13's at 102-103, im adding a blower this winter, and ill be putting in a v8 t5 then as well. So should this t5 last me the summer? Im going to be doing no power shifting, and the only time ill dump the clutch is at the track, 2 or 3 times a year.

• Sponsors (?)

I would not put that in my car. You say that you will baby it, but me, I could not resist, and the first time you do....you're done. I bought my V8 T5 from a guy for $75 and paid another friend of mine that works for ford 250 to rebuild it..no problems so far. Put the effort it findind a used one, and rebuild it with good parts.

AHHH, you werent supposed to tell me that, your supposed to say, yeah there pretty much the same tranny, lol. Well i may just sell that tranny maybe get some money for it, and get a v8 tranny, i might as well do it right the 1st time.

I had a 4-banger T-5 in mine for about a year and a half and it held up pretty well. I didn't baby mine either, took it to the track all the time. It started to grind third gear but all T-5's do that. It should last you fine until you can get what you want. Just get used to taking off in second gear, first is pretty useless even with 2.73's.

use it and beat it to death.
had one(out of 87 turbocoupe) in my mild stock 85, and beat the heck out of it, and it never showed me a bit of trouble, but of course my 8cyl one went right to crap with the same abuse, so figure that one out.

It'll work. My 89 t5 is rated like 260lbs and a 4banger is 240 or 245lbs, so no big diff for me. Some people say you can get away with using the stock5.0 bearing/bushing, but don't do it. You will need to get a new clutch pilot bearing #14672 Autozone. Then there's the argument over using either bushing or bearing. It's more or less just preference imo, but do replace it.

Well thanks for all the imput guys, i might just use the tranny i have. I do have a quick question though. Ive been hearing alot lately the the 5 speed from the factory was nearly a full second faster than the AOD stock for stock, is this true, if so WOW?