will different sized wheels and tires effect alignment?

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
guys, i have the bbs wheels you see in the sig. wheel and tire sizes are listed there. after i drop the car and install a tubular k-member next year, i will need an alignment.

i dont want to mess up my bbs wheels, so the question is would a set of 94 mustang V6 wheels be ok for the alignment, then i put the bbs back on after.

or will the size of the wheels and tires be to different, and mess up the alignment? very important disicision i have to make about selling stock bullitts very soon.......please let me know thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

ADRENLN said:
oh btw, i think the v6 wheels are 15's, dont know the tire size though.
Well ok then id say get some tires on the 15's thatll give you the same overall height as your 18" wheels and tires to make for a more accurate alignment once you switch the wheels back to your BBS's

-only thing is i dunno if the large difference in width could affect it

thanks for the insight, but that is what im wondering as well. the bbs are 10 in. in the rear, what could the v6 be 6 in.

is that much difference going to effect the acuracy of the alignment?

ADRENLN said:
thanks for the insight, but that is what im wondering as well. the bbs are 10 in. in the rear, what could the v6 be 6 in.

is that much difference going to effect the acuracy of the alignment?
Im as confused as you are on that question, guess we'll just wait for someone else to chime in

well, we all know the shop will tell me the scratch was there, and that is exactly what i am trying to avoid. the bbs wheels are very sensitive to scuffing for some reason. i orderd them cause the finish is supposed to be more durable then chrome, i dont think so...

I really woundn't worry about changing your rims, they do alignment checks on cars every day and I'm sure a lot of them have much more expensive wheels than you do.

As for affecting it, well that all depends, as the car will sit different on different wheels and have limited suspension travel with larger tyres, also the offset of the rim should be considered. But not because it will align differently.

You stand more chance knocking it out of alignment by changing the wheels after than them scrathcing your rims.

Also, if your car is not stock then why would you be running stock alignment? If you are having it setup for a specific use then it should be in the condition it will be used.

Alignment will not only affect tyre wear but have a major impact on cornering grip and steering sharpness/responsness. Also on stability at high spedd and grip accelarating off of the line not to mention the drag factor that can also be caused by scubbing if you have too much toe in/out which ultimatley could affect 1/4 mile ET's.

well right now, the car is perfect, with the bbs wheels on. car never had an alignment. no shakes or rattles.

i will need to get an alignment after i drop the car and add a k member.

so i was just wondering if i could use other wheels without messing things up.

if not then ok, ill do it with the bbs wheels. shops around here dont care they just want your money. the only reason i care is because the car is a show car. the less scratches the better.

Different width tires, particularly if the wheel offset is different, can affect camber. I would have it aligned with the wheels and tires you plan to use. Use a camera (digital or film) to document the condition of all 4 wheels before the alignment. Be sure the camera has the capability to focus close enough to the wheel to obtain adequate detail. It should take 4-5 photos to see the entire outer surface of one wheel.

A box of donuts for the aligmnent tech, before he starts, will generally assure a careful job with no wheel damage.