Will Flowmasters fit in a Magnapack catback?

Purebred

Aug 4, 2003
Maryland
I've got a Magnapack catback, and I'd like to swap the 'Packs out for some 2-chambers or Super 40s, but from what I can tell, they won't fit. Has anyone done this before, and if so, how much work is involved? I imagine that some of the pipes will have to be bent to accomodate the new muffs.

• Sponsors (?)

Purebred said:
I've got a Magnapack catback, and I'd like to swap the 'Packs out for some 2-chambers or Super 40s, but from what I can tell, they won't fit. Has anyone done this before, and if so, how much work is involved? I imagine that some of the pipes will have to be bent to accomodate the new muffs.
Are you planning on welding them in? Is that what you're saying?

Purebred said:

no you can't do it because the flowmasters are offset in/out and your current magnapacks are basically straight through resonators. Why would you get some crap flowing flowmasters over the superior packs? If you really want them, i say sell your magnapack catback and put your stock catback on and weld the flowmasters.

KaPPaBaLL said:
no you can't do it because the flowmasters are offset in/out and your current magnapacks are basically straight through resonators. Why would you get some crap flowing flowmasters over the superior packs? If you really want them, i say sell your magnapack catback and put your stock catback on and weld the flowmasters.

you can get flowmasters that are center/center inlet/outlet. or get the flowmaster 1 chamber race mufflers.

KaPPaBaLL said:

From what I've heard, there is only a couple of HP difference between all aftermarket mufflers, and that most of the HP to be freed up on a stock car is in the midpipe. That's certainly where I noticed the biggest difference. :shrug:

SonicBlueBabe said:
Are you planning on welding them in? Is that what you're saying?

Yeah, that was my plan, but as I said, I'm a little skeptical with the Magnapack catback. The 'Packs are at a pretty steep angle, which leaves little to no room on the outsides. Since the 'Packs are 4" wide, and the Flows are significantly wider, I figured they wouldn't fit without some modification of the catback pipes.