Will Fox Bodies go up in value?

• Sponsors (?)

I kick myself. When I was 18 I bought a 92 Mustang GT. White with black cloth 5spd car. 92K. I was the 3rd owner, and it was a Florida car. I sold it the first day I put it up for sale for 5,000. :nonono: Man....if I would have only known. There is junk for sale around here now for 5,000.:notnice:

the fox will hold its value, but you mention investment. i wouldnt buy a vehicle as an investment lol.

Are you kidding? Do you really believe cars arn't investments? You put money into an investment with the expectation of profit. If you restore a classic car (not saying the fox is classic) you can, more than likely, expect profit when you sell it. Now, i'm not saying the fox is a great investment, but I do believe if you restore it with minimal loss, then you can expect little (but some) profit.

I'll be pissed if they don't, I could be driving my notch everyday but nooooooo I have to let it sit in the garage cause I'm afraid to put mileage on it and more afraid some asshat will hit it.

If it's not a low mileage original, or a limited model don't hold your breath. that being said it's still a classic in my book, there is nothing like see'ing a nicely done up fox driving down the street, brings a smile to your face. just have fun with it and enjoy it , that's the real value :nice: .

If anyone ever pays over 10k for a clean foxbody they should honestly be bitch slapped. There are just 2 many around..

Congrats on looking like an idiot to almost the entire forum. I paid 12.5 for my 93 Cobra. In the last week there has been two teals in in the same condition/mileage but both with a vortech. They went for 15, and 16K. There's a teal one right now with 180K miles, and yes you read that number right, 180,000 miles. Its at 9K, with a day left. I've already had an offer of a grand over what I paid for mine. At my first and so far only show with it, I already had a guy toss me his business card to leave in the glove box if I ever want to sell it.

I'll just assume you never went to college, or if you did, ya must have slept through mirco, and macro. They teach these amazing thing called supply and demand. :nice:

They will go up. Stock ones first, then lightly modded ones. Even the lightly modded ones will bring some money in the future if the body is solid. People can always restore them.

Even my car for instance. 91 Mustang LX coupe. 4cyl salvage title. It is now a nice 5.0L 5 spd. Mostly stock mods, in sig. People have made me offers that I should have taken, but I didn't. They didn't even bat an eye at the title. I am in no rush to sell the car. If I get 10K for it now, or 10K for it 5 years from now, it makes no difference. I will just do my best to keep it clean and running good.

Yeah, I know.. I just bought one, lol. Thats why I'm wondering, I don't want to put money into an investment like this, only for it to drop in value..

I will have to bring up a point about investing. Yes if you make a profit on something you purchased for one amount then sold it for a larger amount, even though not much more, I guess you could call it an investment, but your using that term VERY loosely.

Cars are actually a poor investment in money terms. Look at where high valued cars such as the Hemi, Camero and muscle cars of the 60s sell. At Barret Jackson this year, which gets the highest prices of any auction in the country most good cars were from 100,000 to 180,000. An average Mustang went for around 60,000 to 80,000.Of course the most desirable, such as the GT500s, cobras and such went for more, but they should.

Now consider what those cars cost new, lets say and average 4,000 to 6,000. To return a profit of 96,000 to 176,000 in 35 to 40 years, that is a bad investment. People can save and make 100s of thousands to millions with different investments, depending on how aggressive you are.

Don't get me wrong I own a fox and will probably sell it someday in 20 or 30 years, but I wouldn't call it an investment, just a hobby. If I make money in the end that is great.

Include all the maintenance you do to it in between your profit is even less.

If you want to invest and make money, invest in yourself.

I will have to bring up a point about investing. Yes if you make a profit on something you purchased for one amount then sold it for a larger amount, even though not much more, I guess you could call it an investment, but your using that term VERY loosely.

Cars are actually a poor investment in money terms. Look at where high valued cars such as the Hemi, Camero and muscle cars of the 60s sell. At Barret Jackson this year, which gets the highest prices of any auction in the country most good cars were from 100,000 to 180,000. An average Mustang went for around 60,000 to 80,000.Of course the most desirable, such as the GT500s, cobras and such went for more, but they should.

Now consider what those cars cost new, lets say and average 4,000 to 6,000. To return a profit of 96,000 to 176,000 in 35 to 40 years, that is a bad investment. People can save and make 100s of thousands to millions with different investments, depending on how aggressive you are.

Don't get me wrong I own a fox and will probably sell it someday in 20 or 30 years, but I wouldn't call it an investment, just a hobby. If I make money in the end that is great.

Include all the maintenance you do to it in between your profit is even less.

If you want to invest and make money, invest in yourself.

I totally see where you are coming from and I don't know much about investing. I will have to say, buying a car back in the day, keeping it that long and coming out that much on top is a good investment! Anytime you make money is a good investment.

I just think people get the wrong idea while building cars. If you can't afford to sink 5,000 into a car or even 50,000 into a car, then don't. I would only build a car for an investment if I could afford to live that certain amount of time without that money I would be putting into it. I would make sure I still have and make enough to support everyday needs. Like said above....it is more of a hobby than an investment, but you win if you make money.

I'm not trying to turn this into anything.....I just think, if you can make any amount of cash on a car, do it. I have been flipping them for 10 years now.:flag:

Ahhh, yet another one of these threads spawned by Fox hopefuls hoping their cars will be worth something one day. Didn't we just have one of these a couple of months ago....and a couple of months ago before that?

My opinion...nope. They'll hold their value to a certain extent since they are after all quite popular, but the sad truth is, is that there were too many of them built to make them a rarity or hold any sort of collectable value. Regardless of what some of the delusional owners of these cars are asking for them in the local auto trader anyone asking anything more than $3,000-$5,000 for a mint, “stock”, low mileage Fox Body is out of their mind IMO. Bolt-on’s will get you a little further with some, but only to an extent. And gaudy bolt ons (even if they were expensive) are actually going to hurt more than help. You’ve still got to remember what kind of car you’re dealing with and be realistic about its value.

Fox market is a joke in chi-town.

We have a couple of flippers who are being shunned on CL's by looky-loos and then you do a carfax on their fox's and you see that they have 100+ on 60-80 that they claim... more like 180 and they are asking and have been asking 5-8G for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

I've seen other Fox's on auto trader for over a year because the market is down and even with 70K on the clock, people aren't giving 8 grand for those cars.

I even tried to ask a guy what he would take for a fox and he comes back with very arrogant response asking if I want a turd or an unmolested car.

I pointed out a few flaws to the owner, who is most likely a flipper, and the person's response was weak.

For the guy who doesn't drive his fox... go drive it. If you die tomorrow, what was it all worth?

People, get out there and enjoy your cars. I see so many worrying about value... the value of what? Something you can't take with you when you die... enjoy it, after all that's why you bought it.

Ahhh, yet another one of these threads spawned by Fox hopefuls hoping their cars will be worth something one day. Didn't we just have one of these a couple of months ago....and a couple of months ago before that?

My opinion...nope. They'll hold their value to a certain extent since they are after all quite popular, but the sad truth is, is that there were too many of them built to make them a rarity or hold any sort of collectable value. Regardless of what some of the delusional owners of these cars are asking for them in the local auto trader anyone asking anything more than $3,000-$5,000 for a mint, “stock”, low mileage Fox Body is out of their mind IMO. Bolt-on’s will get you a little further with some, but only to an extent. And gaudy bolt ons (even if they were expensive) are actually going to hurt more than help. You’ve still got to remember what kind of car you’re dealing with and be realistic about its value.

Amen!

I totally see where you are coming from and I don't know much about investing. I will have to say, buying a car back in the day, keeping it that long and coming out that much on top is a good investment! Anytime you make money is a good investment.

I just think people get the wrong idea while building cars. If you can't afford to sink 5,000 into a car or even 50,000 into a car, then don't. I would only build a car for an investment if I could afford to live that certain amount of time without that money I would be putting into it. I would make sure I still have and make enough to support everyday needs. Like said above....it is more of a hobby than an investment, but you win if you make money.

I'm not trying to turn this into anything.....I just think, if you can make any amount of cash on a car, do it. I have been flipping them for 10 years now.

I get your point too! In fact the first large some of money I made was when I was 16 and finished restoring a 69 Nova 396. My Uncle who restored cars for a living helped me and I ended up make a good bit of money in the end. Would I call it an investment, maybe, but not a good investment! According to the dictionary term it would be, but in today's money terms no.

It took me and my uncle 2 years to rebuild that car in our spare time. We made 10,000 dollars,of course that was back in 89 and it wasn't that desirable of a car. I have made 10,000 on the stock market and investing over the last 3 months. So I would call it a hobby with some money benefits, unless you do it for a living.

If it's not a low mileage original, or a limited model don't hold your breath. that being said it's still a classic in my book, there is nothing like see'ing a nicely done up fox driving down the street, brings a smile to your face. just have fun with it and enjoy it , that's the real value :nice: .

relatively low original :shrug:

But that's the problem isn't it? Your book doesn't necessarily set the bar for the cars value. You see it as a classic in the making, the general public views it as a cheaply built, so-so quality 2-door RWD Sport couple that was built during the low point of the automotive crisis (what we all remember as the 80's) to pull Ford out of the fire. It's the classic case of a car owner who's fallen in love with their car and thinks it's worth more than it really is. You see it all the time with 3rd Gen F-Body, RX7, and Datsun/Nissan 240/260/280/300 owners. They loved it, so they think everyone should. It's now making a comeback with Civic, Sunfire, Saturn and any other 4-cylinder econobox that some aftermarket company makes a fart muffler and a wing for. :shrug:

That's why I bought a car that nobody loved, but still had all the right parts....picked it up cheap and had lots of fun beating up on the more popular sprorts cars along the way. :D

Stuff like the svt cobras and saleen's will always be worth a good bit of money IMO, and I would assume will be worth a good bit of money to people my age who have money in the future. Probably the only safe bet as far as an 'investment' goes, but your money would obviously be better 'invested' elsewhere.

As far as the 'common' 5.0 cars go........hard to say. I think low mileage original ones WILL be worth a good chunk of change. The "they made millions of them" statement doesn't hold much water in my view. Look at the '64-'68 mustangs. I personally think they are overvalued, but they do bring a good bit of money.

Of the million 5.0 mustangs made, how many still exist? You see a fair amount of them on the road yet today, but 75% of them are beaters that are one teenage owner away from the junkyard.

What do 5-speed notches with good factory paint and black interior bring on e-bay these days?

I'd like to add to this discussion again in 10 years.

I get your point too! In fact the first large some of money I made was when I was 16 and finished restoring a 69 Nova 396. My Uncle who restored cars for a living helped me and I ended up make a good bit of money in the end. Would I call it an investment, maybe, but not a good investment! According to the dictionary term it would be, but in today's money terms no.

It took me and my uncle 2 years to rebuild that car in our spare time. We made 10,000 dollars,of course that was back in 89 and it wasn't that desirable of a car. I have made 10,000 on the stock market and investing over the last 3 months. So I would call it a hobby with some money benefits, unless you do it for a living.

I have to agree. 10K for 2 years, then splitting it for two people isn't the best investment. But, at least you made money, and you probably learned a ton of valuble information that you will always use on the next one!!:nice: I guess others say it is a bad investment because you could have made more money having a part time job doing less strenuous work. Either way, it is more a hobby I guess.