Will hi-flow BBK cats lets me pass emissions?

MattMan88 said:
I personally failed emissions here in AZ without cats. So I threw on a BBK catted x-pipe with pipe plugged and passed with flying colors even without a smog pump. I actually blew less than my brother's Geo. :D Plus I used a acetone/alcohol combo in the gas.... :banana:
Hey Bud!

Man, you got lucky. I will tell ya about the story with the '94 at some point here.

• Sponsors (?)

MattMan88 said:
I used a acetone/alcohol combo in the gas.... :banana:

What kind of combo? Can you remember the proportions you added to the fuel?

I have been curious about fuel additives for several years, but somehow never get that far down my research list of things to do.

jaymac said:
Well....what's the hold-up??
Story time or what?? :shrug:
What? :D It is a boring story (the whole emissions thing just irritated me). :D

I am a bit of an expert on how AZ emissions works now (I had to go see an EPA referee to get the '94 passed).

jaymac said:
:scratch:

Who "J"? Not ME "J". I have smog testing!
Who doesn't have smog testing??
J, apples and bananas, or prunes and walnuts, when fed into the fusion converter at a rate consistant with the integral of a 5th degree odd-function, will provide the answer to why I posted that. :(
I Know you have smog testing. I cant figure out why I said it (either it was a reply to some other thread and I confused who said what, or I am really really losing it). I fear the latter. Sorry bud. :Cheers:

OR perhaps I was testing you to see if anyone pays attention to anything I ever blab on here. :D

HISSIN50 said:
OR perhaps I was testing you to see if anyone pays attention to anything I ever blab on here. :D
For the most part we don't; I must've mistaken your moniker for "HISSIN", or some other knowledgeable member whose name is a homophone of your own. Won't happen again.

:p
JUST KIDDIN'!
YOU DA MAN.
I still really don't know why you wrote that though... you were probably just trying to get an edge on the neck-and-neck post count race! :rolleyes:
(post whore :D )

Back to the original question -- yes fresh cats, even 2.5" high flow ones, will do a lot to help you pass smog. I have a bone stock '90 LX with the original 4 cat pipe and 150k miles, that passes California smog but only just, even with a full tuneup. I also have a '90 LX with GT40 heads; E303 cam; MAC shorties; MSD6A; 190lph Walbro pump; Accufab regulator; 180 degree thermostat; 2.5" Flowmaster 2-chambers, all with about 80k miles on the motor and about 25k miles on a BBK 2.5" catalytic convertor h-pipe that is way cleaner out the pipes, and passes with flying colors. The sound from the E303 and Flowmasters always forces the smog guys down to their knees looking for cats, but once they see them they test away, and I have had no problem with the dreaded California smog test whatsoever. I attribute a big chunk of this to the newer cats.

my uncle is a smog mechanic and he said that not running the air pump hooked up on your catalytic converters causes them to burn out super fast and the cats get ruined, like in less than a few thousand miles, and those highflow cats are $$$$$expen$ive, but thats just what he said, maybe someone can agreee or concur :shrug:

If thats the case, couldnt you just have some "Universal" cats (Magnaflow? Catco?) welded in? I'm almost positive though that you DONT need the AIR pump, at least with thirdgen f-bodys they're useless anyway.
BTW
you buying the stuff from a kid named Jim? lol