Will I pass inspection

road rage

Dec 14, 2003
R.I.
I have a upr x-pipe on now but need to get the stang inspected soon, would a catted x-pipe pass inspection. I know some of you will say just swap it out for the stocker for the inpect but I cut it out when I put the upr on. Besides I'll probably just keep the catted x on.

• Sponsors (?)

am i missing somthing here? its a catted X pipe right? if it is, he will pass the visual and the emissions. however, all they do for the inspection (for cars 1994+) is hook up the computer to the OBD II diagnostic port and pull the codes. pre '94 they stick the sniffer in the tailpipe. if theres a check engine light on, you fail, hands down. if its off, you pass. when/if they visually inspect the car and ask about your cats, just say one of the stock cats failed and you had to replace all of them since theyre all on the same pipe. you must say that b/c its a 50k fine to remove a properly working cat. con.

DerekStangGT said:
am i missing somthing here? its a catted X pipe right? if it is, he will pass the visual and the emissions. however, all they do for the inspection (for cars 1994+) is hook up the computer to the OBD II diagnostic port and pull the codes. pre '94 they stick the sniffer in the tailpipe. if theres a check engine light on, you fail, hands down. if its off, you pass. when/if they visually inspect the car and ask about your cats, just say one of the stock cats failed and you had to replace all of them since theyre all on the same pipe. you must say that b/c its a 50k fine to remove a properly working cat. con.
it really depends on how strict the emissions are in his state. in california removing any stock smog equipment is illegal. hence anything other than the stock h will fail you.

DerekStangGT said:

50K fine to remove cats?...geezus. This concerns me, 'cause the cats were removed on my snake (previous owner). Though I recently passed inspection at a local delership. I may eventually need to invest in a catted system...50K...holy $hit.

ak_sn8k01 said:
50K fine to remove cats?...geezus. This concerns me, 'cause the cats were removed on my snake (previous owner). Though I recently passed inspection at a local delership. I may eventually need to invest in a catted system...50K...holy $hit.

I think its one of the laws that are never really enforced.

o0akoni0o said:
it really depends on how strict the emissions are in his state. in california removing any stock smog equipment is illegal. hence anything other than the stock h will fail you.
its not illegal if you remove an improperly working piece. like if a cat con fails.
ak_sn8k01 said:
if anyone asks, just say they got clogged and needed to be replaced. easy

ponysarepretty said:
I think its one of the laws that are never really enforced.
truth

ak_sn8k01 said:
well thats a slight relief.
..and I think the chance is kinda slim that (a cop) will look under my car.
actually, ive heard of horror stories like that. i was at defensive driving one time and one of the kids (19ish) that was there told me a cop pulled him over in his supra for speeding, then ticketed him for no cats, driving on illegal tires (slicks), 4 inch intercooler piping, dumped exhaust, car too low to the ground, and a couple more stupid little things that were all laws. the kid had to hire an attorney, and still ended up paying ~3k in fines

ak_sn8k01 said:
well thats a slight relief.
..and I think the chance is kinda slim that (a cop) will look under my car.
I stilll may go with the catted system (down the road).

9/10 cops don't know what a cat looks like
9/10 cops don't know our mufflers are located in from of the rear axle
9/10 cops don't know how many cats a car should have
9/10 cops don't know the difference between a stock h pipe and an x pipe.

ponysarepretty said:
9/10 cops don't know what a cat looks like
9/10 cops don't know our mufflers are located in from of the rear axle
9/10 cops don't know how many cats a car should have
9/10 cops don't know the difference between a stock h pipe and an x pipe.
actually, they should since its part of their job. they enforce the law, and traffic cops enfore vehicular laws, which include cat cons, dumped exhausts, noisy exhausts, etc. and it doesnt matter how many cats a car has that makes it street legal, as long as all exhaust gas is filtered through at least one