Will PI cams help a NPI car?

• Sponsors (?)

you want PI cams in a non PI head? Pretty pointless. If your gonna go that far ou might as well replace the heads...

You obviously don't realize how similar the 2 heads flow. PI cams/manifolds are some of the most frequently swapped parts on NPI cars, and those alone will put your car about equal with a stock 99+ GT. The main reason a full head/cam/intake (H/C/I) swap nets 10-15 more HP is the bump in compression (9.5:1 - 10.5:1). So to the original poster, YES, take them up on that deal. Do the cams AND a PI manifold w/ the aluminum crossover and you'll be hanging with 99+ GT's no problem. I have a HOW TO in my sig and it links to other HOW TO's as well if you do get them.

you want PI cams in a non PI head? Pretty pointless. If your gonna go that far ou might as well replace the heads...

Sorry, I disagree. You can change out the cams fairly easily using the Ford cam tool or the not as good AFM cam tool so that you don't have to take the front timing cover off and all the accessories with it. In my case, I wasn't aware of the tool and did it the long way (uggh). See if you can pickup the Ford cam tool used and/or be real careful with the AFM tool and you'll have good gains for not much money and time invested. For me combined, it was a 20rwhp gain with both installed compared to approx. 15rwhp more for the full swap from what I've seen.

so get the cams and springs, then look for a pi intake. right? Also how hard is the cam swap? IT will be my first time to do it, and i can change the intake later right?

also just reading through old myspace things i think i found a pi intake and plentum for 125 good price?

You want a REAL power gain ? Get yourself a set of PI heads or non-PI heads and have them ported. Put those suckers on with a ported PI intake or a ported Bullitt intake and a good set of cams and now yer going to make some good power.

Swaping heads is too much of a pain on the 4.6 motor compaired to the old pushrod motors, don't bother changing it for 5hp, its a waste of time.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go ?

The intake is way more important then the cams. Unless you are puting aftermarket cams in I don't think its worth doing the swap. Without enough air flow you may actually lose HP if you replace just the cams. The intake on the non-PI motors doesn't flow very well and as far as I know this is the major difference between the two. I have heard of people using the non-PI cams with PI parts and geting more HP out of it then people who use all PI stuff.

The best bang for buck and time would provably be a set of ported heads. and a PI intake. I'm sure you can get a set of non-PI heads for under 300 dollars and it would provably cost between 600-900 bux to get them ported. The thing is, with the heads and intake you are looking at something like 50HP. Honestly I don't think just PI cams will do much if anything for you.

ok so the final price is going to be $50 shipped. they are OEM replacement comp cams and springs. I am going to talk to my dad, but i think that i will get them. So yall think that it will help some right. all i have to do is get a PI intake with the aluminum crossovers.
would yall know where i can find one? and should i also get the 99+ plentum or will mine work fine??

I'm wary of ebay so I wouldn't recommend it, if you trust it then go ahead. Otherwise you can find a PI intake for $186-$220. Like I said, check the link in my sig for what you need. It is easiest to do the cam swap with the manifold off so that lends itself to the perfect time for a manifold swap too.

yes they will fit and its a great way to pickup 10 to 15hp cheap and add the PI intake and your gains will be @20 to 25 HP total
you do not need to-do a head swap to make HP and have fun, thats just plan BS
:Word:

I also think it is worth the time and money if you use a cam tool. It's a nice performance gain with the PI intake which you can install later. BTW, get some 3.73 gears to take advantage of the higher rpm's and you will be good to go. The stock tune will work until you get to a dyno. I know a Hypertech tune isn't too shabby!

Actually the PI intake and cam swap will benefit you greatly
over the non-pi stuff.The PI swap is alot more work and will
cost you more money not worth the extra 10-15 rwhp in my
opnion.Also the stock tune will work just fine too.

You obviously don't realize how similar the 2 heads flow. PI cams/manifolds are some of the most frequently swapped parts on NPI cars, and those alone will put your car about equal with a stock 99+ GT. The main reason a full head/cam/intake (H/C/I) swap nets 10-15 more HP is the bump in compression (9.5:1 - 10.5:1). So to the original poster, YES, take them up on that deal. Do the cams AND a PI manifold w/ the aluminum crossover and you'll be hanging with 99+ GT's no problem. I have a HOW TO in my sig and it links to other HOW TO's as well if you do get them.

What I'm saying is, if your going to strip down your car that far in the first place, you might as well go with some nice VT engine heads/cams, not the stock ford crap. Then you'll see better gains :nice:

a buddy of mine put cams and intake on his 98 he was at 194 stock went to 221 on a mustang dyno for under 300$ for both i dont think thats a bad investment

oh and a side not my gf has an 02 gt auto tottally stock it put down 208 the same day he did 221

What I'm saying is, if your going to strip down your car that far in the first place, you might as well go with some nice VT engine heads/cams, not the stock ford crap. Then you'll see better gains :nice:

It depends on your future plans for the car I guess. Those who want to put a blower/turbo on it then keep the NPI heads. If you want to run nitrous then by all means put the PI heads on or something else that the compression bump won't affect.

If i keep the car long enough (looking for a 99+ gt convertible manuel) don't like my auto too much, but getting use to it! I am going to put a s/c on it. so i should keep the NPI heads then?