Will Spare Tire Kit Work?? 2012 V6 Stang

BG-GA

Feb 2, 2017
North Georgia
Guys,
I have a 2012 V6 Mustang & Pony Package without a spare tine. It has 18" wheels. If I buy one of the Spare Wheel Tire Kits,:
1. Will the spare fit in the Truck space?
2. Can I use a smaller 17" tire even for a short distance and not ruin / break something else?
3. Any suggestions of best place to purchase one if it will work?
Thanks.
BG-GA

• Sponsors (?)

Does your trunk have that open space under the cargo area to fit a spare? If so, then you’re good to go.
The spare from a 2005 – 2010 V6 and GT Stang is typically size T155/70R17, but for my 2005 GT I have a T185/60-17 size spare. I don't know why it's different, but maybe it was a holdover from 1999-2004 models. Anyway, either size will be slightly smaller in diameter compared to your 18s so it may not be the right size spare for you. Now there is also a size T155/70R18 that is available for the some of 2015-17 models and can only be used for those models that don't have Brembo brakes. It has the same bolt pattern as your 2012, but the spacing fitment would be the uncertainty. If you know someone who has a 2015-17 model with a spare you can ask them if you can try their spare on yours to see if it fits. If it does fit, you can get the spare, jack, and lug wrench new as a kit at your local dealer, but it will cost you more $$$. Or, you can buy them separately at your local auto salvage which is what I did with my 2010 BMW. It had RFTs and no spare. Once I switched to non-RFTs, I bought the compact spare and jack used via my local LKQ salvage retailer and the lug wrench at my local dealer. In all, it cost me $163 as opposed to $300+ if I had ordered a kit online.

Last edited:
One of the first things I bought for my 2011 v6 that came without a spare tire was ordered a spare tire, jack and lug wrench for a 2010 Mustang GT. So, any 2005-2010 Mustang GT spare should fit. I have 18 inch wheels too. Let us know what you do :)