Will the speedometer interchange?

mustang88

Nov 2, 2004
want to put a 91 gt speedo in a 89 gt ,the 89 has the fuel lights and such in the bottom right corner of the speedo or near the speedo. just wanting to know will it actually fit and the connectors for wires fit?

• Sponsors (?)

i put the 91 speedo in my 89, everything fit fine, exept the speedomitter cable was a pain,(just pulls straight out), im not sure bout the wires fot the lights in the bottom right corner, i never messed with them, the original lights in the unit its self works fine, everything you need. good luck

It will not bolt right in. In 89 there was no airbag, and in 91 there was, so the wiring will be different. I switched from my 85MPH in the 88 Gt to an airbag speedo, and wired **** happened. I had my parking brake on, and my tach would go to 1000RPM and stay there, no matter if the car was running or no. Other lights were messed up, ect.

Basicly, you will have to modify the 91 cluster to work. Watch the "lighting squares", because if you cut one off/wrong, it won't light up nice. If I was you, I would wait and find a 89 speedo you want.