Windshield Seal

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
I had my windshield replaced back in 03 and recently discover that water was leaking through the windshield because has no seal between the glass and the upper window frame. :eek:

I couldn't believe I hadn't realized that was why the car leaks in a rain storm. I thought it was coming through the convertible top.

Can I just get some of that silicone sealant from the hardware store and seal the window up?

• Sponsors (?)

Also, being a fellow 73 vert owner, between the glass and the chrome should be a weather strip that runs from one side, across the top and down the other side.
Glass guys don't replace replace this but have to cut through it to remove the windshield.

Non-convertible 71-73 Mustang windshields do not have gaskets, it's a butyl type seal. However, from what I can make sense of in the book, there appears to be a seal that runs only along the top of 71-73 convertible windshields (the book defines it as seal #03160, but I don't see anything like it available from the major parts suppliers.) Your options are:

1. (Best) Have a professional glass installer remove, clean and properly reinstall the windshield. (I'd guess about $200 from one of the mobile glass guys like "Payless Auto Glass".)

2. (Good) Remove top molding, thoroughly clean channel and fill void with 3M Window-Weld Windshield Sealer available at most parts stores. Keep in mind that this is only a band-aid as your primary Butyl Seal has apparently already failed.

View attachment 290141

3. (Fair) Same as #2, but using Silicone.

If you have rust issues, none of the above, until you remove the windshield and fix the rust - then go for option 1.

Also, being a fellow 73 vert owner, between the glass and the chrome should be a weather strip that runs from one side, across the top and down the other side.
Glass guys don't replace replace this but have to cut through it to remove the windshield.
OK, that makes sense, however that seal is a secondary seal. Hang on, and I'll scan the shop manual page...

Does this look right?

73Must-Vert-Windshield.jpg

Attachments

• 73Must-Vert-Windshield.jpg
    73Must-Vert-Windshield.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 91
Rust :eek:

Dang, now I'm scared to look.
I don't know about verts, but this is one of those - highly prone to rust areas - on all the other 71-73s (especially if you already have water leaking through the main butyl seal).

So, are your side mouldings pop-riveted on like it shows in "View B" and the main picture?
I also see a drawing error - "View C" section in the main drawing shows a screw with an arrow pointing to it stating: "RIVET".

I don't know about verts, but this is one of those - highly prone to rust areas - on all the other 71-73s (especially if you already have water leaking through the main butyl seal).

So, are your side mouldings pop-riveted on like it shows in "View B" and the main picture?
I also see a drawing error - "View C" section in the main drawing shows a screw with an arrow pointing to it stating: "RIVET".

I'll probably have to wait until this weekend to look at it, but I'll let you know.