Windsor or Romeo? Pulley's ?

Alex46

Feb 19, 2010
How do i determine if i have a windsor or romeo engine? Mine is a 2001 GT, and from what i understand there were 2 different types made that year. Remember a few years back i had to look at my water pump pulleys to determine if it was an 01 or a 01 and 1/2.

Do they both have the same type of engine?

Was going to put some under drive pulleys on. Do you guys have these, and are they a good bang for the buck? 5 to 10 hp correct is what they say, and is brand name a big issue with these?

Edit: You replace the harmonic balancer if you change to under drive pulley's?

As Always, Appreciate your time.

Regards,

Alexander

• Sponsors (?)

I'm curious as to how much the water pump is under driven with these sets... Is it enough to recommend a lower temp thermostat, especially for folks in the south and driving the car often? Or should I just wait and go for an electric waterpump.

I put a set of UD pulleys on a 2006 GT 3V that I previously owned and it made more of a difference in the way the car felt than it did on the dyno.

I found about 10-12 rwhp with the UD pulleys on a N/A 3V with a CAI,TB, and programming with a Diablo Predator, but it seemed to rev quicker and accelerate a little faster.

As for the water pump question. I live in Atlanta and never had a problem with my 06 GT in the Georgia summer heat. Never overheated and AC was cold as ever.

Most UD pulleys advertise what the underdrive rate is and range somewhere between 15-25% for accessory underdrive.

Still bang for your buck, for seat of the pants acceleration, would be a gear swap. Might not pick up any horsepower, but it'll go quicker.

Yah, they can be brutal. Especially sitting in that I-75 and 285 traffic. I also lowered the cooling fan turn on temp with the diablosport predator.

Most handheld programmers offer this option to lower the temperature at which the cooling fan kicks on.

Enjoy your ride and hope all that helps!

Windsors have 14 valve cover bolts, whereas Romeos have 11. Check that to see for sure.

About the underdrive pulleys. Yes, the water pump pulleys are different for Romeos vs Windsors. Yes, you change the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley for the underdrives. The crankshaft pulley is smaller, water pump pulley is larger, and alternator pulley is larger. For me, there was no difference in charging, engine cooling, AC, etc, etc with my underdrives. All was the same as stock.

As for are they worth it. Some people love em. Some people hate em. I know that one board member has recorded gains of .1+ in the 1/4 with them, and I personally really like mine. The engine will rev up VERY quickly with them vs. the stock pulleys. I was kinda sad when I had to take them off for my blower.

What brand? Steeda.