Windsor or Romeo?

96SOHC

Apr 26, 2004
TN
Given the choice, which is the better of the two cast iron 2V blocks...the Windsor or the Romeo block? The cost is the same for either, just wondering if one has an advantage over the other. I know the Romeo will accept the FRPP windage tray while the Windsor will not...but any other interesting block tidbits out there? I am going to start ordering parts for my new short block, so any info is appreciated. This will be a N/A engine with no nitrous or blower, just street cams. Thanks. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Lets just say that the windsors are built for trucks and romeos are mostly cars and few light duty trucks. 99-00 mustangs got their engines right off the truck assembly line since romeo plant had not even started to produce PI heads yet. The main differnce in the blocks are the main caps. the windsors have a locating pins that does not allow any cap movement and the romeos have a jack screw that helps locate the main cap.

fastback brian said:
Lets just say that the windsors are built for trucks and romeos are mostly cars and few light duty trucks. 99-00 mustangs got their engines right off the truck assembly line since romeo plant had not even started to produce PI heads yet. The main differnce in the blocks are the main caps. the windsors have a locating pins that does not allow any cap movement and the romeos have a jack screw that helps locate the main cap.
You can reuse your valve covers if you use romeo heads, ie if you are doing a headswap = less cost.

Dan_Soprano said:
good topic......does anyone know what years from 99-04 that each motor/heads came from? I know that the 2001 model year had a slightly higher compression ratio then the 99-00 and the 02-04. Anyone know more on that? :shrug:

'94-'98 = Romeo engine (don't know the compression!)
'99-'00 = Windsor engine (9.0:1 compression)
'01-'04 = Romeo engine (9.4:1 compression)

Windsors have press on cam sprockets, Romeos are bolt ons.