Winter Project buildup Questions...

gregpro50

Sep 11, 2004
Binghamton NY
I have a '92 GT 5sp with 75,000 miles. I pulled the car in the garage for the winter to originally just change the clutch and things started snowballing. Here are the mods I decided to do so far. I have the engine and tranny out anyway so I thought that now is the time to do this stuff. The car is completely stock except for a power chip.

-rear end completely rebuilt with 3:55 gears
-mac upper and lower control arms
-motorsports king cobra clutch kit
-2 1/2" flowmaster exhaust
-2 1/2" off road H-pipe
-motorsports stainless non-equal shorty headers
-mac fenderwell cold air induction
-professional products typhoon upper and lower intake

These are the things I have got so far. I was also thinking of changing the cam to a motorsports B303 and replacing the timing set.

Given that combo, should I increase in fuel injector size to maybe 24 lb hr???
If so, can I use the stock fuel pump ???
Would a 70 mm throttle body be OK ???
What size mass air meter should I run ???
Should I eliminate all the smog components ???
Any ideas on how much HP this combo should put out ???
Is the B303 cam a good choice ???
Any other ideas or things to be concerned about ???

I am not looking to drag the car often, I just want a nice street machine to eat up some of these ricers.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

• Sponsors (?)

OK i would go with longtubes headers. They usually preform a little bit better and the install should be a breeze with the engine out. You probably dont need to go with 24lb injectors, they wouldnt hurt, but the money is probably better spent somewhere else. 70mm will be alright, perhaps a little big, but i have one and i dont think its too big. I have a supercharger in the works however, so thats the reason for me having it. Most people who are N/A will say stick with 65mm. As for the smog stuff, you should have no problem ditching it, except that you will most likely get a check engine light, which can be annoying. Can't comment on a mass air meter size since i have no experience there, but id deffinetly go with Pro-M, seems to be the best quality. Ill let the other step in and lend some advice about the other issues. Good luck with everything :nice:

I've read a couple of other threads where guys shoot down the idea of putting a cam in an otherwise stock motor. I only plan on changing the intake to an aftermarket one and not the heads. Would the B303 cam be a waste given the mods listed above ?? I've read others that are very happy with this cam choice in a stock motor... :shrug:

He's already got headers done. Eliminate the smog components if you dont need to pass emissions.

With that combo, you dont need 24lb injectors, but it wouldnt hurt. If you do so you have to go with a mass air calibrated to those injectors. In my opinion, dont change either, wait til you find out if you are going to do heads or a supercharger.

It is a good idea to change the fuel pump. Eventually they start to die with many miles on them. Go with a 190lph or 255lph depending on what you plan for in the future. The return line will send back any excess fuel.

I strongly advise not doing a tbody until you get heads (or forced induction). If you must don't go bigger than 65mm. (again think of the future).

I wouldn't change the cam until you are going to do heads. Goals also may change,why swap it twice.

Power wise, well its always tough to tell. With a full tune up, you should make between 205-220rwhp. The range would increase a little bit with pullies.

Good luck.

Yea should have mentioned it in my post, changing a cam without the heads won't make a huge difference and could affect your driveability. I agree with xplo89gt that waiting to do the cam is usually your best bet. The alphabet cams are notorious for not being the best choice, so throwing one in now could mean that you will have to change it again later.

OK I decided to take your advice and stick with just the stock cam. I think I will also stay with the stock injectors, mass air meter, and throttle body.
I think I will also put a set of pullies on.
What about a set of rockers ??? What kind of rockers and what ratio ??? 1:6 ??
Does the intake I have need to be ported out before installing ?? It is a profesional products typhoon. I wanted a gt-40 but this intake got some pretty good reviews, was cheaper, and is shiny....
I need to slow down on this project. Spring is still a long way away...

For rockers, well it depends. You could go with 1.7s and that would make a little bit of power over the stock 1.6s, but after you do h/c/i most cam selections go with the 1.6 unless you go custom.

Suspension. Well the most important thing to do is subframe connectors. This should be the first mod done to the car. Next as you said lower rear control arms, maybe upper to get the power to the ground. And as always springs, shocks, struts will help shift the power and provide some nice cornering.

Check out www.maximummotorsports.com for quality parts.
And yea, definately don't rush. You are doing a lot of things, so make sure you do them right.