Wiper removal

Hack

15 Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
Minneapolis
Ok, I'm not feeling really bright. I can't get my wipers off my '70. The manual says there's a spring-loaded release. You're supposed to lift the arm off the windshield and bend it all the way back, which should release the arm.

Mine aren't coming off. I've sprayed penetrant on them a few times, tried to gently pry them.. I'd really prefer not to break them, because replacements never seem to be as good as the originals. Besides, I never drive the car in the rain anyway, so they're mostly for decoration.

They do move slightly, but they won't come off. Any tips or suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

I think the first time I changed mine I just changed the wiper blades. I had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to get the old blades out. The second time I tried changing the blades I broke one of the blade holder deals and then had to basically remove the old ones and replace them with the basic aftermarket arms that you find at the auto parts store.

Hi, new here. I have been browsing in the back-round for sometime and after reading your post I decided to join.

It sounds like you have blades made by Trico. They use a spring to retain the blade to the arm. There are two ways to remove these without damaging anything.

Method 1 Using a small flat blade screwdriver, gently press down on the spring from above. Look between the two sides of the blade, and you will see where, hold the spring down and the blade will slide off the arm pin.

Method 2 Using a flat blade screwdriver, with a blade at least 5/16 wide, position it vertically between the blade and the arm, as close to the pin as possible. Twist the screwdriver, the lever action will push the blade off the arm.

Trico blades use the spring tension to push the spring up-wards into a groove cut in the arm pin. Depressing the spring centers it which allows for removal. Since the spring is round, the twisting, lever action forces the spring out of this depression.

I hope this helps, Jeff

Hack said:
Ok, I'm not feeling really bright. I can't get my wipers off my '70. The manual says there's a spring-loaded release. You're supposed to lift the arm off the windshield and bend it all the way back, which should release the arm.

Mine aren't coming off. I've sprayed penetrant on them a few times, tried to gently pry them.. I'd really prefer not to break them, because replacements never seem to be as good as the originals. Besides, I never drive the car in the rain anyway, so they're mostly for decoration.

They do move slightly, but they won't come off. Any tips or suggestions?

The method you described is correct, but when you lift teh arm all the way away from the windshield you are putting tension on the stud so it doesn't want to slide off. You have to pry the back side up, if you have a crowsfoot bar they work pretty good, just rap it in a rag so you don't scratch your paint.

Unless you have had the wiper arm off in the past 5 to 35 years, even with the release clip depressed, the likelyhood of having to force the arm off with a pry object is great. I used a big screwdriver and a wood block for leverage and popped it off.

Thanks Worth and Ozsum2. I'll wrap it in a rag, brace the cowl with some wood, and try it with a pry bar.

everyone else, thanks for the help.. I think my post was a little unclear. It's not the rubber wiper blades I'm having trouble with. It's the complete arm assemblies I'm trying to remove.

66HertzClone said:
KD or Lisle makes a pair of pliers made for removing the arms.

Yes, and Ford also made a specialty tool for the project. If someone paid for each of these tools, they have more wrapped up in them than in the car. But nice to know one exists.