wiring help/connector identification

ebk06

Feb 23, 2007
Im trying to get power to my chassis harness (lights, gauges, signals, etc.). I've hit a snag today in that something is draining my battery. Everything seems to have power but the light output seems to be less than half of optimal. When I turn on my headlights they are very dim. If I unplug one headlight the other get much brighter. Also when the headlights are on the interior lights dim almost completely out. The hazards will work but not the turn signals. The door chime is very faint and the powerlocks kind of want to work but the power windows dont nor do the power side mirrors.

I tried swapping turn signal switches from my other mustang but that didnt help. After testing so many things Im at a loss. Also an FYI the engine and trans are not in the car. Im doing a custom swap and Im trying to get power to these items before I get my engine and trans back from getting work done. Would not having the alt. or starter be causing any of this (i would think not)? Any ideas?

Also I have below some picture of connectors I that I dont know what they are for. Need help here too.

The white connector I have no idea what its for or if it needs power? The relay/circuit breaker I believe goes to the wiper motor and power seats but I could be wrong. The blue connector I know went to the alternator so I believe I can actually delete those wires?
swap-08.jpg

The brown connector I believe connected to the main harness that powered the fuel pump and a few other things. I believe I can actually delete all these wires too since I dont even have the rest of the harness it connects to nor will i be trying to reconnect it.
swap-09.jpg

Now this one Im really interested in finding out what it is. I took off the end connection and it seemed like it was just a plug to complete complete the circuit on these wires. I dont think I can delete these wires.
swap-11.jpg

The connector on the right, I think that goes to the steering wheel to power the horns? Since I dont have the factory steering wheel on Ill have to use this to power a horn button.....if im correct about it being for the horns lol. The connector on the left I have no idea what its for and saw no where for it to plug into.
swap-06.jpg

This white connector, i saw no where for it to plug into and have no idea what its for. :hmm:
swap-05.jpg

The two black connectors had no homes either. Where do these guys belong?
swap-07.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

under the hood- Brown connector is for your dash harness. blue/white connectors are for the air bags. Grey- self test input.
take a better pic of the wire color combos on that one connector.

In case you didn't know it, wires are colored and striped for a reason. It helps identify what circuit they service. No wire colors and no mention of what year the car is. Therefore, no clue as to which wiring diagram you need. The wiring changed several times between 79 & 95.

When you post wiring problems, the model year of the car is a must, along with the color of the wire and the stripe on the wire. Pictures aren't much help, you can't accurately tell the wire and stripe colors.

That's why it is a good idea to use the sig under the user control panel (User CP) option. It allows you to post your car year & mods, which help greatly when troubleshooting things. No, it is not there for us to snoop and see any "Secrets" you have hidden away under the hood. Be a good stangnetter and update you sig for future reference & don't keep us guessing.

A word of caution about multifunction switches is in order here. The multifunction switch (high/low beam, wiper, turn signals) are different for different years. 87-98 will work in any 87-89 car. The 90-93 switches only work in 90-93 cars. You can't put an early model switch in a late model car, nor can you put a late model switch in an early car.

Supposedly you can move the pins around to make the switches work in model years that are different from the car the switch came out of. I cannot verify that and haven’t tried it .

Other possible problem sources for the turn signal malfunction are the ignition switch, multifunction switch and the plastic shell that holds the turn signal wiring connector pins.

The following diagram is for 87-89 model cars.

Turn signal switch wiring:
attachment.php

Headlights - the most common failure point is the ground wires for the headlights. Look for the turn signal grounds in the drawing. The drawing says 92-93, but the turn signal/headlight grounds are the same for 87-93 model cars.

The turn signal/headlight grounds are fastened the the top radiator support bar at the RH & LH sides.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Turn Signal grounds and engine comartment wiring.jpg
    Turn Signal grounds and engine comartment wiring.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 4,226
Sorry jrichker I thought I had put it was a '91. Trust me i know the year models change wiring through the years. Ive spent all weekend looking at diagrams lol. Thanks for the info about the multifuntion switch. I did try replacing the one in my 91 with the one from my 87 and had no idea they differed. the ignition switch is brand new.

One other thing i forgot to mention that may be related. I cant turn the key forward only backwards to the acc. I do know the switch is getting power since I checked it with my Fluke and everything else is getting power but once the headlights are on things start acting weird.

Pic #3. The connector with the shorting plug is for the Daytime Running Lights used on the Canadian models.
Pic #6. Both BK/Y wires are used for the convertible top relay. Just hangs there on other models.