Wiring Questions

Leezure

May 10, 2005
It's time to get this engine running!

I am working on the wiring for my starter and my alternator. The battery has been moved to the trunk and I have removed the wiring harness on the passenger side that connects to the computer (I'm running a carbed application here).

I am planning on running the following for the starter:

Positive wire from battery to fuse block post.
Another wire from the fuse block post to starter

I am running the Ford M11000-A50 starter

Question: Where does the smaller wire connect to in order to provide power to the solenoid? Does it go to someplace on the fuse block or into a part of the wiring harness I removed. If so... where should I hook it up to?

Now for the alternator:

Do I run the wire from the terminal on the alternator to the fuse block or directly back to the battery or maybe even the starter?

My search found only references to stock wiring harnesses and I am starting from scratch.

• Sponsors (?)

I can't help you with the small wire on the starter, but I think I remember it going over toward the fuse box.
For the alternator, I would run the wire to the fuse block unless you're going to use a battery cutoff switch. You could run it to the starter if the starter wire is connected to the fuse block, but I know I don't have nearly enough room for that with the headers there.

To sum it up, Battery->Fuse block->Starter...Alt->Fuse block

Make sure you use good heavy wire. I reccommend 2ga at the smallest. 0/1 or 0/2 Welding cable is kinda big and heavy, but it works great.

Thanks Mike! That's what I had in mind but I like to confirm electrical work. It's been so long since I disassembled everything that I've forgotten exactly where everything goes besides I've put in too much time on this project to see it go up in a puff of smoke!

Anyone else remember where the smaller wire feeds into?

The smaller (S-terminal) wire for the starter solenoid coil comes from the clutch pedal. I dont have a clue where it physically goes from there (through which harness), but you could pick it up there and trace it, or run a new wire.

I know that's not much help.

Good luck.

Whoops, my bad for missing the AOD part. :bang:

Just change that line of thinking over to the neutral safety switch on the trans. But anything more specific about that is beyond me. The clutch safety switch wiring should still be intact, but I dont know if it's in series before or after the neutral safety switch. If it was in series after the NSS, you could still tap into the wiring there.

Once again, sorry to not be of much help. BTW, I have a fair number of posts and in most of them I wish folks good luck. I might have some sort of record (I've probably typed it like 15K times). You'd think I would be smart enough to just post it alone in the sig space, but I'm kinda' slow. :D

Here goes.................. Good luck and bump.