Won't Turn Over

66ford289

Apr 10, 2005
Alright I know that I could sit down for a few hours and troubleshoot everything but I think i'm overlooking something small. I just swapped on a 4 bbl intake and carb. I pulled the intake and the distributor along with the battery. It started before but now it won't turn over. I know that the battery is charged because it started my truck 5 minutes ago. When I turn the key to on I can hear the voltage regulator click and then when I turn to start it just clicks again? Like theres either no voltage or too much(like a short or something) Any ideas? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Try jumping the starter at the solenoid. Take a screw driver and touch both the "+" post on the solenoid and the nearest of the small middle posts("S"). Make sure the car is not in gear! It should crank the starter over. With the key in the on position if you do this it will start the car. You might have to hit the throttle by hand at the carb. This might work and tell you that your solenoid is bad. If it does not work try same thing except jump from one of the big posts on the solenoid to the other big post. If that doesn't work its the starter that is bad.

Another idea is the ignition switch. If the wire running from the start position of the ignition switch and the "S" post on the solenoid has either a short or break anywhere it would prevent the starter from cranking.

Batterey, solenoid, ignition switch, starter, wiring, somewhere in there. And don't go out buying everything just to swap everything out and be done. Let us know how it goes so we can keep thinking or learn from this.

The stupid little things you forget that you knew, when I first got this car I used that exact trick to start it. I guess in my frustration I overlooked it.:bang: I am 90% sure it's the solenoid. The good news is the tip worked great and the 4bbl is awesome, 300 extra cfm makes all the difference. THANKS!

also, dont forget to hook up the engine ground strap. the starter grounds to the engine/tranny, and if those aren't properly grounded, there is nowhere for the power to go. I don't think it would completely stop the car from starting, but it wouldn't help either.

MitchGT said:
also, dont forget to hook up the engine ground strap. the starter grounds to the engine/tranny, and if those aren't properly grounded, there is nowhere for the power to go. I don't think it would completely stop the car from starting, but it wouldn't help either.
It would stop the car from starting,because the mounts isolte the engine with rubber.After my stroker swap I forgot mine and it wouldnt crank,so I added a 4 GA strap.