Worth it? $3K for STS remote turbo universal kit

180 Out

Jul 23, 2005
For $3K you get this:

Universal_Kit_Parts_Final.jpg.JPG

No exhaust, no intake ducts. STS's claim to fame is an electric pump that returns engine oil back to the engine; they use engine oil pressure to get it back to the turbo. They also claim a "40% intercooler" effect, due to the intake ducting.

Here's a pic of an install in a '00 Suburban, which obviously has no ground clearance problems:

8.1L_Turbo_View.JPG

This might be an SN95 Mustang, modified to track-only status:

IMG_2100w.jpg

I think this is an S10 (cuz it says "s10" in the URL):

S10.jpg

(Hope this guy intends to avoid the slushy salted roads from now on.)

Anyone have an opinion? :chair:

• Sponsors (?)

Having done the first STS on a 2005 GTO w/ the LS2 engine...500+ rwhp is nothing to sneeze at. That said, I have sold the system and am finishing work on a front [traditional] mount twin turbo setup as I want INSTANT spool. The STS setup works well on a 1/4 mi car, as you can spool the turbo in an automatic. Also nice having the weight at the back of the car. The only problem is that in easy driving, the exhaust flow isn't hot at the turbo when you suddenly punch it. Starting with a 6 liter 400 hp engine first, it really isn't so bad.

I really like turbos, but would likely opt for a MII front end to create space, and then fabbing up a pair of twins. Or a belt-driven centri w/ blow through carb is easy to do.

To do a DIY rear mount, it is not a big deal to buy a MP turbo and go from there. Just stay with a smaller exhaust turbine housing. The oil return pump is nothing magical. Fairly straightforward and reliable. Go over to LS1Tech.com and you will find a number of DIY rear-mount turbos.

BTW: one fellow took a GTO, had MTI build him a serious 455...and then added a rear mount turbo. The car was in one of the car mags in a shootout. Hit just under 200mph in a mile at the North Carolina airstrip-cum-straightline car course. Car started blowing oil [not the turbo] and they shut down...instant wheelspin at 190+mph. Sounds like fun.

3k isnt worth it for ANY turbo kit(unless it includes a nice big ball bearing turbo) you can put a turbo system(with everything needed, unlike that thing) for under 2 grand...also with remote mount turbo kits your limited in the size of the turbo you can run simply because of how far the air has to go to get into the engine(more lag with larger turbos than if they were 3 feet from the intake rather than 15) my first turbo setup cost me about $1800 all told with brand new turbo, manifold, all that crap and a RRFPR(which i could have got a MegaSquirt setup for the same price and did later on) intercooler, all piping and fittings, turbo was a S20G capable of 500HP...that is on my turbo neon...I'd excpect to be able to put together a similar setup for the same on a v8 mustang, my mustang will be twin turbo and about the same on my SHO v6 engine using TO4E turbos to start with...will probably make a max of 400-450ish HP(not bad for an engine that starts at 220) if you want a turbo system, do yourself a favor and buy "Maximum Boost" and design it yourself, that way you save a buck and more importantly you actually understand how the system works

In short, I don't recommend.

I have worked on an LT1 Camaro stroker (383) with this setup. It was a fully built car, but the power adder was this rear mount turbo. We had issues with exhaust leaks, intake charge pipes blowing off and just not putting out the power we would have liked. The ground clearance was terrible and the idea of a turbo hanging down there on the ground still makes me cringe.

I would most certainly recommend an MII front end and a DIY standard turbo system.

For 3k you can also get a nice Vortech S/C and a carburetor for it.... that would be my recommendation.

Turbo kit for under $2k...yeah, right! If you are wanting to put 100 hrs of labor into it, well, perhaps. But for those of us that earn more than minimum wage, fabricating a good turbo setup is a lot of work. Balancing the exhaust back pressure on a single V8 w/ crossover involves more than you think IF you are looking for optimal power.

As far as exhaust leaks on a rear mount, WELD THE PIPES! Ground clearance will depend on the specific car and available room. Charge pipes blowing off? That is an issue with any turbo if you don't use good clamps and have a bead on the pipe. That will occur for ANY FI setup. My first turbo conversion >20 yrs ago was like that...pipes didn't have a bead, and the silicon would blow off when I dialed the boost > 8psi or so.

Again, a rear-mount is NOT my rec for this car, but after having driven one as a daily driver, they can perform quite well. Everyone who ever rode in [or raced against] my GTO was impressed. And the mid-range torque is a LOT more than any centri SC car.

I wasn't going to say anything about it lol.

I'll have to throw up a pick one day. If you notice the pipes on STS's always are round going into the flange. That's a horrible restriction. It causes the exhuast to run right nto the housing of the turbo rather than direct it in.

They are making a KILLING if they get 3k for that kit.
You can have a properly made kit with better results for that price, maybe a little more depending on.

I was reading others posts and somone said that they could get a turbo kit for under 2 g's. Well I was wondering if this person could help me out. I am new to this so i need some help. I have a 2001 mustang gt convert. with manual trans. All the help ya can give would be great. I am looking for 400 hp or more. Also would I have to do many mods to my engine and what is my total cost?Thanks

I was reading others posts and somone said that they could get a turbo kit for under 2 g's. Well I was wondering if this person could help me out. I am new to this so i need some help. I have a 2001 mustang gt convert. with manual trans. All the help ya can give would be great. I am looking for 400 hp or more. Also would I have to do many mods to my engine and what is my total cost?Thanks

it aint gonna happen unless you do all the fabriction and even then its probly not gonna happen after everything.

if you buy a kit expect to pay $5k-$7k. add up all the fuel mods, tuning, and suspension mods since every kit (ex. sts) require new k-memebers and c/o's its pricey. not to many cheap ways to do it unless you do it yourself but room will be your biggest problem.

hellion would be my first pick then HP in a far second for your car.

I am currently installing a twin turbo [front mount] kit on my GTO to replace the STS. This kit is a bargain for $4500 + 450 shipping from Australia. A big piece of the cost savings is that they use the stock manifolds swapped side-to-side; then a pipe connects the manifold to the turbine inlet. The LSx manifolds flow extremely well and work great in this application, and save a lot of $$. From there are stainless down pipes as well as charge pipes, intercooler, and silicone. This kit is a bargain at that price.

BTW: on a stock LS1 + cam they just produced 633 rwhp with this setup!

Link to graph for the curious

I am currently installing a twin turbo [front mount] kit on my GTO to replace the STS. This kit is a bargain for $4500 + 450 shipping from Australia. A big piece of the cost savings is that they use the stock manifolds swapped side-to-side.........This kit is a bargain at that price.

BTW: on a stock LS1 + cam they just produced 633 rwhp with this setup!

No offense, but "cost savings" aren't involved when the kit puts you back $5000 and you still use some factory parts. I could make comparisons to the sub-$2000 5.8L block-splitting junkyard setups, but that's not what this thread is about. The STS universal kit is hardly worth $3000 or even $2000 when you get little more than a turbo, a wastegate, an oil pump and some tubing.