Would a bad coil set off trouble code?

Twisted

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
Hansen,CT
My 02 GT started to miss under load. Checked the codes and there is nothing. Would a bad coil or misfire be picked up by the computer and display a trouble code?

The problem started right after I filled the tank, so I might also have water in the gas. I put some dry gas in and plan to drain the tank just to be safe if the problem keeps up.

• Sponsors (?)

My 02 GT started to miss under load. Checked the codes and there is nothing. Would a bad coil or misfire be picked up by the computer and display a trouble code?

The problem started right after I filled the tank, so I might also have water in the gas. I put some dry gas in and plan to drain the tank just to be safe if the problem keeps up.

yes the ECM will detect any and all mis-fires, check the PCV valve hose for cracks, cuts or other damage

It was a mis-fire. The problem seems to have gone away now. Drove the car this morning for the first time since the problem started and it is running fine now.

How does the computer know a coil goes bad? I had this problem once before, but that time the mis-fires were at idle and not just under load. Both times it was a cold, ~30F, and the car had been sitting for a couple days.