Would A cause B?

CivicEater

Jan 29, 2004
When I pulled my cam out I crushed the heck out of my AC screen (rad looking thing) I never thought about it leaking but now that my ac doesnt work I am thinking that would cause it (all the freon leaked out).....however I can't feel the Compressor "kick" on....but I cant remeber if it ever used to "kick"....is it just leaky screen =ing no ac or is there a reason the compressor wouldnt be kicking on (or does it have a "kick" feeling)....no CE light if that helps.
Also how do I disconnect the ac lines to the screen if I do replace it? they look like they are part of the screen..... :rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

With no freon, the compressor will not kick on, it has a low pressure switch to keep it from coming on. The same tool used to disconnect the fuel lines, filter, is used to disconnect the ac lines. Can get them at any auto parts store.

Did you pull the cam out with the condenser in place??? Wow... I didn't think it could be done. I'm reminded of that despair poster -- "It may be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others." :rlaugh: :jester: Just teasin'... :D

Dave

Lol yea...:( I thought it could be taken out with the condenser in place but I found out it couldnt after about an hour of bashing the thing......Glad I could help serve as a warning though. So those 2 (or3?) lines on the side just disconnect. thenslide in the new and reconnect? now I gotta find one.

94Cobra.....so the compressor usually has a "kick" to it or even a noise to hear it come on? You think that it is the lack of freon...Just want to make sure before I order a new condeser...lol I guess I have to either way:(

CivicEater said:
94Cobra.....so the compressor usually has a "kick" to it or even a noise to hear it come on? You think that it is the lack of freon...Just want to make sure before I order a new condeser...lol I guess I have to either way:(
Just pop the hood with the A/C on and see if the compressor is turning (look on the front of the pulley, if the clutch is engaged the whole pulley will turn, otherwise just the part with the belt will be spinning).

If it's not turning, it could just be the pressure switch, or it could actually be low on R-134A. I'd take it to a shop and have them check it real quick if you don't know someone with the A/C tools.

Dave

You can always go out and buy a low pressure switch from discount or some other parts stores. They are only a few bucks, take the one on the car off and hand tighten the new one in. That made my compressor kick on, but still blows at outside ait temp.

With low freon (refrigerent-134) the compressor will not engage the clutch on the compressor. This is because the refrigerent acts as a lubricant to the compressor and the low pressure switch acts as a safety device for your compressor. I had one of the pressure switches go bad on me. One has four wires (green connector next to the CCRM) the other has two wires (black connector near the firewall). It was like $16 at Autozone for the two wire switch. Fixed the problem. The plug on the compressor is on the side of the compressor just below where the stock battery plate is. Its a PITA to get to from above.

To check to see if the compressor is good, you can for a few seconds is to bypass the low pressure switch. It is on the passenger side by the firewall, unplug it and use a paper clip on the plug you removed from the swith to jump it, if the compressor comes on, all is good.
It is correct the compressor will not engauge with no freon & freon acts a a lubricant, running with no freon and the compressor engauged you will burn up the compressor

you can get a refill kit from an autoparts store for cheap instead of going to a shop and getting ripped off. theres a little sticker on the bottom of the hood that says how much r132a our cars need.