wtf? that wasnt supposed to happen

Chuckman

GTFO you fat, heavy bastard
15 Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
st. louis, mo
putting the heads on my motor build just now, and while going to final torque this happened:

Picture001.jpg

Picture.jpg

thats a mac 1/2 drive 1/2 socket. second one thats broken on me (last one was a deep well 1/2 drive 1/2 hex that broke a socket wall out). and of course i know of noone who runs a mac truck anymore :mad::mad::mad:

off to sears i go :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

i've had plenty of craftsman sockets fly apart while using them... and if you saw me you wouldn't be inclined to think i was the world's strongest man... they just don't make tools like they used to

i guess it's better that the socket gave before the head of the bolt did... it's not fun having to lug a motor down to a machine shop to have a broken bolt extracted (ask me how i know)

Time to buy some impact sockets that'll handle the torque!

I buy the standard craftsmen sockets since replacement is free an sears hardware is 2 minutes away. I've only broken 2 in my 28 years of back yard mechanics. It's funny how sometimes you put a socket on a breaking bar, put a pipe on the breaking bar an stand on it an jump up an down an the standard socket doesn't break, then you try to crack some thing loose by hand an you brake a socket.

I can't believe it just split in half like that. And it sounds like you weren't even using regular sockets on a pneumatic tool or anything. I have to say I've had the best luck with craftsman sockets and they run at half the price of the other names. Just stay away from craftsman floor jacks and torque wrenches.

my dad used to sell these things, and all the mac tools i have (and its alot) are "leftovers" from when he sold his franchise. that was right around the time i was born, maybe a bit sooner. so i dont know if its just because theyve been through over 25 years of heat and cool cycles or what, but it pisses me off having to rebuy tools, especially when the ones i got supposedly have a lifetime warranty :mad:

btw, this was broken on a craftsman torque wrench, which is what i thought was breaking and would end up having to replace thinking it would be more delicate, but nooooooo, has to be the socket i cant get a free replacement for......