x or h-pipe?

• Sponsors (?)

no real advantage or disadvantage. x pipe is supposed to scavenge better at high speeds(most likely you will never drive fast enough to notice this) which is why Nascar uses them. X has a high raspy sound to it. The H has that low rumble that makes the sidewalk shake at idle.

i have had both my car has a 2.5 x and slp loudmouths on it and it is really loud and sounds like a nascar, but sounds good and get quiet enough to hear the radio when cruising another thing to consider is the mac pro chamber its the bet of both if you ask me im thinking of going that route now if you get on you tube and seach for mustang exhaust you can hear almost any set up out there thats how i found mine

I run an offroad H with Mac flowpath mufflers and its wicked loud. rumbly at idle and when I floor it I can set off car alarms. The pro chamber will help quiet things down if you dont want cars half a block away to know that you are coming.

I'd go with the h-pipe.

I had a BBK X on my '87 notch with Dynomax ultraflows, and it was pretty raspy sounding.

The H enhances the V8 sound. The X only benefits at high RPM. So unless you're running mods that up the redline considerably, the h is the best bet IMO.

I was always told the x pipe makes more power, but really couldn't tell myself. It pretty much comes down to what you prefer. I personally like the sound of the x pipe better, and am prolly one of the 50 people that do:D For the most part the h pipe is more popular. If you have never heard the difference between the too i highly suggest that you do first cause the x pipe definetly has a unique sound.:nice:

I have an old Super Ford magazine article where they dyno compare the two, and the X makes something like 6hp and a few tq more than the H. It's so little that you'll never know the difference so go with what you like the sound of most unless you're building a true racecar and you need every single hp you can find.

there is nothing raspy at all about the x pipe. the x pipe sounds better imo in every way over the h. The h has more of that low end growl, but the x also has more of a wicked "tuned" sound to it. It's got a higher rpm snarl to it that's absolutely wicked.

I have an old Super Ford magazine article where they dyno compare the two, and the X makes something like 6hp and a few tq more than the H. It's so little that you'll never know the difference so go with what you like the sound of most unless you're building a true racecar and you need every single hp you can find.

+1 I've seen dyno tests that were even closer than that. There is so little performance difference between the two, it's almost insignificant. It really comes down to preference. My vote would be the X. I like the raspy/race car sound X pipes make, and IMHO, H pipes sound more like truck exhaust.

+1 on the 'X'. Im running shelby Tri-Y longtubes, 2.5" to an offroad X and SLP LM II's. People have told me it kind of loses the "classic ford pushrod sound" achieved with dumped flows with an H, but they compliment it none the less as a crisp, refined sounding exhaust, almost mod motor like?

video:
YouTube - Shenanigans

Sound clips at 0:07, 0:30, 1:02, some fun at 1:35. Ignore the rest of the video, including vehicles involved.

+1 on the 'X'. Im running shelby Tri-Y longtubes, 2.5" to an offroad X and SLP LM II's. People have told me it kind of loses the "classic ford pushrod sound" achieved with dumped flows with an H, but they compliment it none the less as a crisp, refined sounding exhaust, almost mod motor like?

video:
YouTube - Shenanigans

Sound clips at 0:07, 0:30, 1:02, some fun at 1:35. Ignore the rest of the video, including vehicles involved.

you nailed it...it's not raspy in the slightest...refined is the key word