x pipe or prochamber

02 Black Gt

Founding Member
Mar 26, 2002
im going to be changing my exhaust. i currently have an o/r h pipe and flows dumped. i want to change either to an x pipe or a prochamber. whats the pros and cons of each. i will be using a magnaflow cat back system. for an x pipe i was thinking maganaflow as well. i want an o/r x pipe. i also currently have bbk shorty headers which i will be keeping. any help is greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Well...your screen name show you have an 02 GT......you might want to try looking into the 4.6 forums and they could give you more opinions....

I know on my 2000 GT I went with the Prochamber because you simply can't beat the sound in my opinion on a 4.6 :flag:

I was wondering....I figured you had a 5.0 but I was just playing it safe :D

Actually I would still stick with the Prochamber....a guy I know had a longtubes, prochamber, and mac catback on his 95 and it sounded dang good :hail2:

David

i had heard that a prochamber sounds like a mix between a h pipe and an x pipe. i like the sound of both pipes but i want somethng a little differnet then what everyone else has (h pipe). i like the sound of the raspy x pipe butl ike the deep rumble of an h pipe. i wish i could have both. im leaning towards the procahmber

02 Black Gt said:
i had heard that a prochamber sounds like a mix between a h pipe and an x pipe. i like the sound of both pipes but i want somethng a little differnet then what everyone else has (h pipe). i like the sound of the raspy x pipe butl ike the deep rumble of an h pipe. i wish i could have both. im leaning towards the procahmber

In my opinion, you'd be happy with the ProChamber then. I parked my 94 w/ProChamber next to my buddy's 95 w/MAC offroad H pipe, and mine had a deeper, more "muscular" idle. Part of that could have been due to my 3.5" tips though; he has 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" tips but I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes in the sound.

It sounds good all the way up thru the RPM's. I also don't know why people say the ProChamber is quiet. It may not be as loud as an X, but it's certainly not quiet. My car gets too much attention as it is from the exhaust...I'm not sure I'd want anything louder!

im pretty sure im going to go with the prochamber. do they make the magnapacks for fox bodies. i didnt think they did. anybody no some good places with good prices to get the prochamber and magnalfow catback.

I find this funny

this board seems fairly anti rice
yet this talk about a prochamber vs x-pipe and out of all the replies I think only ONE person said anything about power

the rest talk about sound

sounds like rice to me :p

oh yeah I think someone wanted the black kettle back

rx7speed said:
I find this funny

yet this talk about a prochamber vs x-pipe and out of all the replies I think only ONE person said anything about power

I think your wrong, everyone on here does their research and they all know that no matter which one they pick they tend to only gain like 3 hp on a basically stock engine to if your lucky 10 - 15 on a modded car. so that is why you here about sound because that is the only relative difference between any of these pipes, except for marginal torque gains/losses.

rice no - "sound advice" yes

rx7speed said:
I find this funny

that's a pretty ballsy statement, aside from the fact that just about every performance muffler on the market makes nearly the same power numbers, give or take a hp here or there, which i'd say just about anyone would sacrifice for a better sounding muffler.

The difference here is, stock mustangs make power, performance exhaust add a little power and sound.

Stock ricecars sound like crap, and a fartcan in the back just sounds like pissed off bees in a popcan.

Can a muffler add power to a car that was manufactured with gas mileage and economy in mind? Probably. Can a muffler add power and *better* sound than a Mustang would normally have? Absolutely.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
that's a pretty ballsy statement, aside from the fact that just about every performance muffler on the market makes nearly the same power numbers, give or take a hp here or there, which i'd say just about anyone would sacrifice for a better sounding muffler.

The difference here is, stock mustangs make power, performance exhaust add a little power and sound.

Stock ricecars sound like crap, and a fartcan in the back just sounds like pissed off bees in a popcan.

Can a muffler add power to a car that was manufactured with gas mileage and economy in mind? Probably. Can a muffler add power and *better* sound than a Mustang would normally have? Absolutely.

Besides man, if you're gonna shell out the beans, why not decide on the sound you're gonna hear every time you drive?