X-pipe VS. H-Pipe

Jekyl

Mar 31, 2005
Calgary AB
So im reading inalot of adds in 5.0 magazine and MM&FF and they all say that H-pipes are a thing of the past and to go with x-pipes.

Assumming both are Offroad with no cats or resonators... What one has better performance and sound and what is the difference that makes it better..?

Discuss.....

P.S. Im trying to decide between o/r X and o/r H

• Sponsors (?)

I have heard several x-pipes, and all seemed to have a louder, more unruly sound than my prochamber. Even when comparing an X 302 with my prochamber 408. Funny thing is that in a rather extensive dyno test several years back the prochamber actually produced better torque and hp, especially in windsor strokers. I don't remember any of the numbers but I do remember that there was no one pipe that was the best for all motor combos. I found the article in one of the Mustang mags at least 2yrs ago.

If you have back issues the best thing you can do is go back and look for answers to your Q's.

Quijibow_69 said:
When you say that O/R X makes an "exotic" sound, what do you mean by that? Ricer sound?

I have an off-road "X" pipe with the stock catback system. I like it much better. The best analogy I can come up with is this:

Idle/cruise/WOT

"H" pipe = Rumble/drone/roar
"X" pipe = Burble/growl/howl

An "H" pipe makes your Mustang sound like a 1964 Pontiac GTO...
An "X" pipe makes your Mustang sound like a 1964 Ferrari GTO... :banana:

Jekyl said:
Ok I am looking to keep my low end torque... but i also want a loud mean sounding exhaust..... am i better to go with H-pipe?

You won't lose enough of the low end to miss it. To get any mentionable power out of the 302 you need to let it breath. You will be happier revving the engine, than having gobs of torque... Unless you plan on towing something.

It seems like your pretty concerned with the loss of torque. Trust me it won't be as bad as you may have heard.

I had an H-pipe on before my X-pipe and didn't notice any difference in power between the 2. It's basically all in your preference of sound. I love the way my X sounds, not taking anything away from the H-pipe because i liked it too.

ive got a 5.0, and i bought an o/r h, mainly because of the price, but also because i didnt want to lose my torque, and lose my rumble...ive noticed that at a distance, you'll still hear the underlying sound of the 5.0 from both pipes, but up close, the h has a meaner growl, and the x pipe sounds like it "screams" or almost "echoes within itself" above 2100 rpms... or atleast from a few comparisons of my friends' 5.0s, if you want any type of noticeable difference, buy the x, but im just looking for that "classic" sound.... also i think the x sounds ok with flowmasters, but crappy w/ mac flowpaths<-what i have, so i havnt installed it yet until i get a sticker in a month, but we'll see, maybe x for the power? dunno...

go with the x it sounds bad ass i personally like it better, but i've heard that the x is for torque and the h is for horsepower not sure but my car sounds way better than alot of my friend's cars. They always say "Man i wish i had an x pipe!"

h pipe :notnice:
x pipe :nice:

Here's a little blurb of info on this subject from the main part of the site.

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Articles/Exhaust-Headers-and-Mid-Pipe-Breakdown-5.html

I would take the "less hp, more torque" comments with a grain of salt, both will likely be affected more by other modifications rather than your mid pipe alone(afterall, there are Stangs out there with both flavors of mid pipes putting down some insane numbers).

i have been deabating this for a while. i feel that with an h pipe, its got a choppier sound to it, like the old muscle cars. whereas the x pipe kind of blends it together, but still roars. i think an x on our 5.0 engines would sound more like a 4.6 L but hella loud. after alot of thinking, i want my car to sound like a modern muscle, it will also go better with my car. the only question is, i dumped my stock system right after the mufflers, i plan on keeping it like this so how do you think it would sound with a o/r x on there?

Personally I like the sound of my uncapped stock H-pipe over anything else I've ever heard...but I'm weird. All the x-pipes I've heard sound like motorcycles or Indy cars...my buddy ran his uncapped for a bit and you'd swear you were sitting in an F1 car by the sound lol