X-pipe vs H-pipe

kbenrajab

Aug 29, 2005
I have a 98 GT with stock headers and 2 chamber Flowmasters. I recently in stalled an o/r BBK x-pipe. I sounds like crap! When I accelerate it mades this very harsh brassy hollow sound.

Anyway I have read alot of tech threads and it seems like an h-pipe with or without cats works better with the 2 chamber Flowmasters. Is there anyone who is currently running an h-pipe with their Flow-masters? Any input would be real helpful. The x-pipe has been a total disappiontment. I want to keep the flowmaster sound, get a little more power and a little more volume.

By the way anyone want to buy a BBK o/r x-pipe? I only ran it for about 110 miles.

• Sponsors (?)

I had a BBK h pipe with 2 chambers flows and the sound was great, when I installed the BBk X pipe the sound was very raspy and bad threw the H pipe back on and never looked back. I also have a bbk x pipe if someone wants to trade for a h pipe.

Exhaust sound is very subjective. I've heard a lot of cars that the people say sound great, and they sound nasty to me. I currently have a Magnaflow O/R X, and I think it sound too raspy. I am looking for more of a V8 muslce car sound. Not sure if you can really get it from a mod motor without cams. I have not heard many that have that classic muscle car sound

I am probably going to try LT's and a Bassani X with cats next.

lgndracer said:
Exhaust sound is very subjective. I've heard a lot of cars that the people say sound great, and they sound nasty to me. I currently have a Magnaflow O/R X, and I think it sound too raspy. I am looking for more of a V8 muslce car sound. Not sure if you can really get it from a mod motor without cams. I have not heard many that have that classic muscle car sound

anytime you install a O/R X-pipe just be prepaired to have a real raspy sound if you want the muscle car sound then an O/R H-pipe is better off for that sound

lgndracer said:

Are you running that x pipe with the factory exhaust. I dont see a aftermarket catback in your sig. That could be why it dosent sound right.