Y303 Head gaskets

Ray@VSK

Aug 27, 2004
I've blown a gasket somewhere (Think it's a head) & am going to tear it back down here & was just wondering with the ford racing gaskets suggested by ford ''same ones I got before" they have a bunch of the water jackets covered or very small holes for some reason, should I cut these out of the gasket or should I just leave them the way they are, intake aswell ?

Also I'm thinking about throwing in a e303 cam should I replace the stock valves or cam bearings if so with wich ones ?

• Sponsors (?)

Replacing bearings takes a special tool - I've never done it myself; always let the machine shop handle that one unless you know what you're doing.

Why would you want to replace the valves? Did you mean springs? The Ford Racing springs in the Y should be able to manage the E no problem. They're working just fine with my custom cam that has steeper ramps and the same peak lift as the E.

Speaking of that - why the E? That Y head is intake biased, and ESPECIALLY with the supercharger, is gonna like to have some help on the exhaust side. There are SO many more contemporary grinds available and the E is such a dinosaur, and I think mismatched to your heads/boost. The Crower 15511 or the CompCams XE264 or XE270 - I'd think any of those would be a better choice than the E. Best choice - call Buddy or Ed and let them whip something up for you custom.

Oh - head gaskets - I'd post in the boosted forum and ask those guys what they're running. I don't think the particular head makes much difference - just ask them for boost with stock CR and an aluminum head what's a good gasket. Be sure your bolts are up to snuff - might want to switch to studs for more consistent clamping force.

Your running a KB blower... From my understanding they like different cam setups than your typical centri style blower. I would ask around in the Forced Induction forum on that one. I was surprised the more research I did on them.