Yay! My rear calipers are sticking..again..

joshjwc9

Jun 12, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
So, about 18 months ago I did the brakes on my car, well my shop did them when I was out of town for a weekend. The passenger rear was locked up on the back of the rotor and killed the rotor and the pads. Now, it is doing the same thing. I had new slide pins installed with a ton of grease, new boots and even a new bracket.

So, now it is dragging again. Brake dust like crazy and it is smoking hot after 15 minutes of cooling off in the driveway.

Is there any solutions or alternatives rear caliper wise that doesn't use this shatty design? I know there are the pricey brake kits, but this is my 140k mile DD. Any tips for installing it (since I will be doing it) to keep the calipers from dragging before I need rear brakes the next time?

Thanks in advance...

• Sponsors (?)

I personally would take the car back to the shop and bitch. There's no reason why they should be doing that again.

What type of grease did they use? Motor Oil?

I've never had a problem using anti sieze on those slide pins. Not sure what the temp rating is for that stuff, maybe I have just been lucky.

The calipers are notorious for them, but a lot of it can be prevented by simple maintainence such as new rubber boots and high temp grease.

No reason why they should seize up in a year.

Preventative maintainence would be to disassemble the calipers yearly to lube and clean the slide pins. Unfortunately, floating calipers are prone to this failure...not just the mustang. It's a design and maintainence issue really

The calipers are notorious for them, but a lot of it can be prevented by simple maintainence such as new rubber boots and high temp grease.

No reason why they should seize up in a year.

Preventative maintenance would be to disassemble the calipers yearly to lube and clean the slide pins. Unfortunately, floating calipers are prone to this failure...not just the mustang. It's a design and maintainence issue really
It was actually closer to a 20 month period with me putting 20k on it and the car being supercharged for half of that time period.

Plus I use them alot! I tend to have arse's pull out in front of me almost daily..plus there are some cool closed roads in Mexico close to me as well.

I had the rear off the ground today and the wheels spin ok, but not super smooth like the fronts. I need to inspect my e brake cable to make sure it is fully releasing too. The brakes are still abnormally hot compared to my fronts after a cooling down period and I went ahead and ordered new rotors and pads to go on soon too.