06 Gt Electrical Gremlin

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
Occasionally, after turning the car off and opening the door, the radio will loose it's memory. I loose the radio settings for base, treble, clock, the last listened station, ect. I also notice the door lock switch quits working too, and no doubt other accessories. It isn't every time, but becoming more frequent.
Twice now, I have gotten in the car it is completely dead. No accessories, no ignition, no radio, no start. This was resolved both times by opening the door and closing it again, and everything went back to normal.
I haven't had any issues while the car is running and until the no start issue, and it has been just a minor inconvenience.
Ideas or has anyone experienced a similar problem? Being intermittent, it is difficult to troubleshoot. My best guess now is to replace the door switch. I assume there is at least one. Back in the day, the door switch would only turn a convenience lamp on. :O_o:

• Sponsors (?)

Came out to the car after work yesterday, and the battery was completely dead. I didn't leave the lights on and most everything else should be automatically turned off. Got a jump and all seems back to normal today. May or may not be related.
I am betting on the smart junction box corrosion issue, but everything is still too intermittent to prove it.

Still haven't figured out the issue yet.... The car completely died on me on the way to work this morning. I was driving on a smooth road at steady speed and everything cut out. Engine dead, radio off, no signs of life. I pulled to the side of the road, and head a click before even getting stopped. Put it in park, started the car and on my way. Gotta get this figured out, it's getting to be a danger now.

I wanted to blast you for suggesting such a simple and ridiculous solution to such a complicated and irritating problem. But first, I had better wiggle the battery terminals and clean them up.
Turns out, you may be on to something. The ground terminal was slightly loose. :oops: I pulled both terminals off, cleaned them up and tightened them back down. While it is an intermittent problem, I was running around today with no issues at all.
Thank you for the reminder on back to basics, hopefully it is just that simple.
Previous loose/dirty terminals I have seen also had slow cranking. With the current issues I am having, the engine started quick and easy, even in the low -8 to -10F temps we've had this year, so I discounted the issue being battery/terminal related.

Sounds like one of the cable connections to the battery posts is either loose or dirty.