100 Miles On The Stang

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
So I've got my old car back on the road again!!

Sorry, I just got excited.

When should I change the oil for the first time? 500 miles?

I've been trying to follow the baby it breakin style, but yeah that's not going so well. I got on it within the first 10 miles. :D

VROOOMMMM!!

So sweet.

• Sponsors (?)

did you change the oil after break in? if not change it now, then again in another 500 miles then go with your normal interval after that

Oh?

I couldn't remember, but it did seem like the last time I did an engine I changed the oil at 100, 500, and then 1000 miles. I went with a roller cam this time so I figured there'd be a lot less metal in the oil after the initial break in. Better safe than sorry though. I bought a couple jugs of oil at Walmart for the occasion.

Maybe I'll see you around soon senior B Nickel. I've been itchin to drive my car, but since it's been cold and rainy I haven't done anymore than start my old girl and let her warm up the garage.

it's always a good idea to change the break in oil regardless of cam type. there are other contaminants that can cause problems, like junk from the machining process and left over oil chunks from the vatting process and even just stuff from the initial seating of the rings, etc. like you said it's better safe than sorry.

i still have a little bit of work to do on the stang before i start driving it more often, namely i have to get the monte carlo bar installed and get it aligned and i want to take my roller perches off and put the stock ones back on, that way i can use the rollers on the 69 cougar once the stang is sold. they won't affect the price i get for the mustang and since the cougar is going to be as low budget as i can make it, other than suspension and brakes, the cash i save by re-using the rollers on the cougar will free up some money for something else.

i hope to have the cougar home next weekend so i can get some primer on it and start putting it back together then hopefully having it running and driving by summers end.

I'd change it now, 500, then normal interval after that. I'm not a huge fan of the "babying it" break-in. I did a lot of research on the subject and found that the best break-in procedure is to get it up to operating temperature then run it at about 3/4 throttle up to about 4K RPM, then let off the gas and let the engine slow down the car. This supposedly helps the valves to seat. Do this maybe 5 or 6 times then park it for the day. The next session do the same thing up to about 5K RPM. The 3rd time take it up to redline a few times then park it for the day. After that drive it normally, but avoid long drives at the same RPM - try to vary the RPMs and load for the first several hundred miles.

I followed this procedure on my 331 and am very very happy with how it turned out. Runs stronger than it seems like it should. It definitely runs proportionately stronger than the 302 I broke in the "easy" way.

Here's more info on the "hard break in"

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Filled up again thus week and found I got a little over 14 mpg. AWESOME!! although I know 14 is not really that great it's up 2 mpg from my old engine and I haven't even finished tuning it yet.

I'm hoping to get that to 16 when I do the EFI install this summer.