10w-30

03MGT

May 30, 2005
I just changed my oil with fully synthetic 10W-30, is it to thick for an 03 with only 14k on it? Im racing her at the track toningt and im anal about my car.. :D

• Sponsors (?)

It never stops amazing me how every thread ends up in such a conflict, if the book calls for XwXX then why not just use that and be done with it? Most everyone has heard from 'ol Joe down at the parts house this and that is good and this and that is not so they base their knowledge on that. There are very few people who suggest a certain oil that are truely qualified to recommend an oil for your Mustang, also there are very few engine failures based on people using the Factory specified oil used.

I doubt you will run into any short term problems with 10W-30 but, keep in mind the first number has to do with the viscosity of the oil when it is cold. Basically by running a 10 vs a 5 the oil isn't going to flow as fast to parts of the motor and might lead to long term wear issues if you continue to use it. Startup is where a large percentage of wear occurs and usually you want an oil that will flow quickly to lubricate those parts.

If your car is under warranty you should probably stick with a good full synthetic 5W-20 but, my preference is Mobil 1 5W-30. Fact is the modular motor was designed to run 5W-30 and Ford specified 5W-30 until 2001 when they changed to 5W-20. There are some really good 5W-20 oils these days and it is coming down to a matter of personal preference as you will most likely be fine with either weight.

im amazed how many people still dont know what the first number in a 10w30 means. rjstaaf is dead on in saying its the viscosity when cold. i have so many people come into my work that i have to explain that to, it doesnt help that a lot of my coworkers are ricers and have no flippin idea about cars at all, scary cause we are all service writers.