12" l7 or 3 10" mtx?

I've got 3 10" mtx subs but i desire more bass. The amp i have is underpowering the 3 10's and therefor it doesnt sound good, distorts etc. Its an mtx 801d mono amp. If i were to buy a 12 L7 with dual 4ohm voice coils, could i hook it to the amp? The amp has 2 ohm minimum and puts out 750rms at 2 ohms. Perfect for the sub isnt it? Would the 12" L7 sound better? How exactly would i wire a dual 4 ohm voice coil? Does it have one + and one - on the sub just like normal, or are there 2 + and 2 -? Wiring to a box's speaker inputs? Bridge the amp? And as i asked in antoher thread, can i use kicker sub with mtx amp? It says in the manual for the amp in troubleshooting section that if bass is weak it is because your not using mtx woofers.

• Sponsors (?)

The 12L7 will have 2 sets of terminals. Your MTX is a monoblock so you want to wire it in "parallel". That means connecting the 2 +'s and the 2 -'s to the + and - output on the amp. The L7 is an impressive sub,will give you just as much or more output from a much smaller box and will sound better.

Why not just....

mr_tinkertrain said:
I've got 3 10" mtx subs but i desire more bass. The amp i have is underpowering the 3 10's and therefor it doesnt sound good, distorts etc. Its an mtx 801d mono amp. If i were to buy a 12 L7 with dual 4ohm voice coils, could i hook it to the amp? The amp has 2 ohm minimum and puts out 750rms at 2 ohms. Perfect for the sub isnt it? Would the 12" L7 sound better? How exactly would i wire a dual 4 ohm voice coil? Does it have one + and one - on the sub just like normal, or are there 2 + and 2 -? Wiring to a box's speaker inputs? Bridge the amp? And as i asked in antoher thread, can i use kicker sub with mtx amp? It says in the manual for the amp in troubleshooting section that if bass is weak it is because your not using mtx woofers.

upgrade your amp to something with power levels you want?

Your sub isn't distorting. Your sub is reproducing exactly what it's being given - a distorted signal. More power is the answer. There is cheap power available - you need 500-750 watts RMS at 4ohms for that MTX box - and you can get that fairly cheaply. I'd start there.

Just my 2¢

the only thing is that i have gotten offers for the 3 mtx subs and well i really like the looks of the solo barics as well. I want one of the 2004 models and then a custom box with about 1.2 cubic feet. I would be losing about 100 dollars switching over to kicker L7 and for the extra bass , why not? Like i said, i think the amp i have is almost ideal for one L7. btw even though its monoblock amp, it still has + - + - and that confuses me. So would a 2 channel amp have speaker hookups for 4 speakers? anyway my question again is would the dual 4ohm voice coil L7 work well with my amp? 800watt rms at 2 ohms.