1200 miles in 21 hours

Joe 5.0

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2002
Macomb, MI (metro detroit)
Thats right, I got home saturday at 10am after leaving orlando at 1pm. I bought a 1995 Cobra and drove it back home to Detroit. Here's a couple things I learned:

1. People in Tennesee are scary. I swear I was on a movie set both times I had to stop for gas in that state. :rlaugh:

2. A rich tune on a forged 347 only delivers ~ 16mpg on the highway, and barely makes it past 200 miles per tank. It sucks stopping every 3 hours for gas.

3. 347 >>>>>>>>>>>> 302. (extra own brackets done on purpose). I dont have any rwhp numbers, but the extra fun the low end torque and actual power past 4500rpm is crazy.

4. A Detroit locker rear end, triax shifter, tremec 3550 tanny, and mcloed street twin combo will make your right arm & left leg WAY stronger. However, theres nothing like powershifting the 1-2 and having instant clutch grab and 100% posi lock on the tires. :hail2:

5. I missed owning a black car. Ever since I sold my only black car i told myself no way i'd own one again. Too much cleaning, too many scratches, etc. Now I'm hooked again. Nothing like the shine of a freshly polished black car.

6. Michigan has the worst roads. Period. Ii didnt feel like the car rode bad at all, until I got to michigan. I swear for the previous 1k miles I barely hit any ruts, and then as soon as i get onto I-94 in detroit I bottom out 3 times in a 10 minute period. You guys in southern states have no idea how lucky you are to have awesomely pothole-free roads.

7. Atlanta drivers are freakin nuts. I'm going 80 in a 55 in the second right lane, an theres people in the HOV lane and left lane easily going 100mph and more.

8. Westin hotel employees dont like people sleeping in their cars in their parkign lot. I took a nap and got woken up by 3 sheriff cars and had the car searched. I was def not getting anymore sleep after that. :notnice:

9. Florida is humid as HELL. thats pretty self explantory. I thought michigan was humind, being surrounded by water and all. Its got nothing on the sticky damn weather i had for the first leg of the drive.

BTW i did the entire drive myself, and since i worked the previous night (midnights) when I got home I had been up for 3 days straight with a total of 7 hours of sleep. :nono:

Anyways, I'll get some pics and soundclips of the car up today. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats on the purchase.......it made the trip.....that's always good....
sounds like a beast...:D
Nothing like a road trip to see different cultures......:shrug: "good and bad".....
Now......GET THOSE PICS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep still have the brand new s-trim that'll go on next spring. Should put down ~ 500rwhp with mild boost.

Now, I KNOW its dirty. Still havent washed it from the drive, so noone say ****zle about it being dirty. :nono:

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

Looks sweet man! I'm also loving the side exits & skirts. Can't wait to hear what she dyno's. Good find man.

Also, when those rears wear out, you might consider a tire just a hair wider. It looks good, but IMO those 11's will need just a little more meat ..... for wheel protection of course.

Joe 5.0 said:
7. Atlanta drivers are freakin nuts. I'm going 80 in a 55 in the second right lane, an theres people in the HOV lane and left lane easily going 100mph and more.

thats no lie, I was there in July and on I-75/85 through downtown its no joke 12 or more lanes wide in some places and the SL is 55, I was going between 75 and 80 and people were flying past me like I was standing still. I dont think Ive ever been as scared to drive somewhere as I was in atlanta.