13 Gallons of Bondo

• Sponsors (?)

man that's a total of crap. one of the guys says you don't use bondo on a car of this caliber....blah blah blah. oh no? how do you expect to get the body straight then? new cars on the shorwoom floor have bondo....everyone of them, you can't use lead anymore on a new car so that leaves bondo. 13 gallons is excessive but i doubt that's true and even if it was most of it get's sanded off the car anyway.

as to the vin tag removal, that was probably to replace that fender apron if it was damaged and then the vin get's welded back in. happens all the time, in fact it should happen everytime that apron gets replaced but unfortunately it doesn't always at least they were putting them back.

as for the prison labor... well that may not have been such a good idea on a high dollar car like that but lot's of companies use prison labor to build stuff we buy and use everyday so i don't see the big deal there either, really, other than it is a high dollar car these inmates are working on.

i think Doug Hasty is getting the raw end of the stick here personally and all this stuff shouldn't even be getting to the news before he gets his day in court.

that said i'm not a fan of unique performance, and i hate the whole eleanor craze but i was a small business owner once myself so i can relate to his problems with running a business. i will say though that any of those people that bought one of those cars really had it coming because anyone with a tv should know that unique used a lot of bondo on their cars, in some cases possibly excessive amounts, they should have known that the cars were built from scrapyard hulks and that the cars were not, in fact, brand new peices.

that clpi is trying to make people believe that car was something it wasn't and that people were being mislead about what those cars were. you'd have to be living in a cave to not know how those cars were built.

sorry for the rant but it does seem like a witch hunt to me. not saying that unique doesn't have any responibility here, obviously they do and a lot of it, but the media is making this out to be all out fraud when it's not.

rant over

I was kinda thinking the same thing B.

i will say though that any of those people that bought one of those cars really had it coming because anyone with a tv should know that unique used a lot of bondo on their cars, in some cases possibly excessive amounts, they should have known that the cars were built from scrapyard hulks and that the cars were not, in fact, brand new pieces.

I don't think people were being defrauded, at least not totally. I do think Unique got in way over their heads, and probably accepted far to many orders. The prison system thing :shrug: what's the big deal, cheap labor is where it's at. Course there was no guarantee that the inmates were doing a skilled job on the cars.

I do think that the average buyer of those cars was unknowledgeable about the processes and materials used to build the new Eleanors. If the 13 lbs of bondo (I think that's exaggerated, how could you use 13 lbs on a car?) going into the car's body bothered them then they'd probably never seen body work done before.

Course there are some builders who do all metal builds, but I would think a car built in that manor would cost 100,000 or more, and not be something that could be produced in mass volumes.

while it does take alot of mud to smooth out a body kit, not to mention tiawanese sheet metal, i feel 13 gallons is a bit excessive. and, on the same note, an unskilled bodyman will end up removing alot of the filler he has just applied, trying to get the feature lines right, only to reapply more. bottom line, my 65 was pretty straight,(drivers quarter, passengers fender, and fiberglass hood were only rough panels) and its got the better part of 2 gallons. btw, ive been doing bodywork to pay the bills for over 20 years, so im not an unskilled prisoner grinding bondo to pass the time.