15" wheels on '01 GT?

whatthejeep

Jul 10, 2006
I'm looking to put 15x8 in front and 15x10 in rear. Currently I have 245/45-17 on 17x8 rims all round.

Anyone have problems with 15" rims? Fit over the calipers OK?
What size tires will I need to keep the diameter the same?
Anyone know what backspacing I will need for the front and rear?

• Sponsors (?)

whatthejeep said:
I'm looking to put 15x8 in front and 15x10 in rear. Currently I have 245/45-17 on 17x8 rims all round.

Anyone have problems with 15" rims? Fit over the calipers OK?
What size tires will I need to keep the diameter the same?
Anyone know what backspacing I will need for the front and rear?

why go to a 15 inch wheel if you don't mind me asking. I would consider it "downgrading". The 17's will probably handle better with less sidewall.

It's my wife's mustang, and she likes the 'stock car' look of bigger sidewalls, and hates the 'ricer look' of small sidewalls. I was hoping to go to smaller wheels (but wider), and make the sidewall bigger. I don't think it will look goofy, just more retro, at least to the 35 and over crowd.

Something like 315/45-15's or so, I haven't done the math yet.

It should handle just fine for street driving, that's what all the cars had when I was growing up. And no, it won't affect the speedo when the tire diameter is the same.

Any ideas?

If you're looking for the drag strip performance or just like the drag car look you might like Centerline Telstars.........

sideview.jpg

Attachments

• sideview.jpg
    sideview.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 14,736
Weld Prostar for the rear. 15x10 with a 6.5" BS and that will fit fine. 15x3.5 up front with a 7/16th spacer and you will be fine.

Honestly 15x8 front will look retarded as **** as the v6 atleast has a 16"

nwapache said:
There is no upside to changing to a 15" wheel, it will throw your speedo/odo off, and look pretty goofy to boot. I wouldn't recommend it.
That's not true at all. First off, as long as you match the correct tire size with the wheel diameter, the speedometer will remain as accurate as it would with a set of stock 245/45/17's on 17x8” wheels.

Example:
245/45/17 = 25.68" (652.27mm) Stock

275/50/15 = 25.82" (655.82mm) Rear

245/55/15 = 25.61" (650.49mm) Front.

Between all three tire sizes, there is less than 5mm difference in height going from largest to smallest, with the 275/45/17's only being less than 2.25mm taller than stock. Bottom line, he's not going to see a change in his speedometer what so ever and by staggering the tire sizes and he'll even get a bit of a "raked" look to go with it, which is far from “goofy” looking. :nice:

Secondly, the tall side wall may not be of any benefit to handling, but it's a big plus for drag racing. Tall side walls will absorb more of the initial "shock" when coming off the line and are easier to hook up as a result. I’ll admit the advantage with regular radials in comparison to say a Drag Radial or true Slick is minimal, but it’s there just the same.

The only reason 17" and 18" drag radials are made at all is because owners want to either clear big brakes or keep the same size wheel all the way around for looks.

Thanks guys, I think I am alot closer to finding what she will like. I am looking at the BFG Radial T/A tires, I can get white letters, and 225/60-15 (front) and 275/50-15 (rear).

View attachment 456804

Wheels will be 7-8" wide in front, 9-10" wide in back, if 10" is not too wide for these.

I'm pretty sure she will like the sizes, but I know she would want wider in the rear if possible. I wont buy her drag tires, she needs something a little more practical, but this is not a winter car either.

Is there any street tires wider that will work? I can't find 315/45-15s, anything else?

Edit: Also, finding cool wheels with proper backspacing is kinda tough. I really like the Cragar 61's, or anything like our current bullett style. Still looking, I'd like to pull the trigger on this before the end of the month.

whatthejeep said:
Thanks guys, I think I am alot closer to finding what she will like. I am looking at the BFG Radial T/A tires, I can get white letters, and 225/60-15 (front) and 275/50-15 (rear).
Stick with a 7" rim up front if you're going to go with 225's. Otherwise, the tire is going to look stretched over an 8" wheel. Avoid BFGoodrich Comp/Radial T/A's at all costs. They may look good and are cheap, but they're total junk.

As for the type of wheels.....nothing looks better (or meaner) in 15" than a set of Welds to me, but that's just my personal opinion. American Racing "Torque Thrust" wheels look very similar to Bullitt's if that's what tickles your fancy and can be had in almost all sizes.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Stick with a 7" rim up front if you're going to go with 225's. Otherwise, the tire is going to look stretched over an 8" wheel. Avoid BFGoodrich Comp/Radial T/A's at all costs. They may look good and are cheap, but they're total junk.

As for the type of wheels.....nothing looks better (or meaner) in 15" than a set of Welds to me, but that's just my personal opinion. American Racing "Torque Thrust" wheels look very similar to Bullitt's if that's what tickles your fancy and can be had in almost all sizes.

M'kay. Well, I can get a set of Hoosier 295/50-15's for the rear. They are a little bigger (0.7"), but should fill the wheel wells nicely. I don't care much about the speedo, I'll probably regear next anyway. Heck, my Jeep speedo is so far off I just use my GPS now!

Still shopping, I'm calling Weld during my lunch break.

squares98 said:
I'm sorry, but if you arent installing 15" drag wheels, that is going to look so ghetto rigged.
But to complete the look you need to get some old school oakleys, and start growing that mullet.

Oakleys and mullets were the 80's son, I'm going for the 70's. :D

At least I'm not jacking up the rear ...

JayC said:
If you're looking for the drag strip performance or just like the drag car look you might like Centerline Telstars.........

I called Weld and Jegs, both said some grinding was needed to get 15's on the front. Did you do any work to the front? What's the specs on your wheels/tires, spacers?

whatthejeep said:
I called Weld and Jegs, both said some grinding was needed to get 15's on the front. Did you do any work to the front? What's the specs on your wheels/tires, spacers?
I don't see why. My Cougar came stock with 15" wheels and it's got the same size brakes as a late model Mustang.