180* Thermostat Question

vld

Nov 5, 2004
My Issue:
when she is cold she has good power from idle; will bark the tires from a hard launch every time, good throttle response etc. when she is hot she is so weak from idle it almost feels like i am launching from second, no bark, slower throttle response by comparison generally sluggish performance. as i get up into the rpms power comes on but from idle she is a dog when the engine is hot.
My Solution:
I went to buy a 180* thermostat to see if this would help my problem. counter guy said he would not suggest this as the ecu and all onboard systems were designed around the 195* t-stat and drivability would suffer. is this right?

• Sponsors (?)

jeffnoel said:
I disagree there are way too many guys on here that are running a 180 no problem. Just use your Predator to set the fan to come on earlier with the 180 thermostat.

:stupid: i agree with getting a SCT or diablo programmer to change the temp the fans come on, in order to work with the 180* T-stat... Thats what i have a 180* T-stat and reprogrammed the fans

DTNODYA said:
It made my car overheat at idle on hot days. :shrug:

not unless it was a bad t-stat. all it does is allow the coolant to circulate to the radiator sooner. so when the engine hits 180*, it opens up instead of 192*. as long as the t-stat is open at or before 192*, the car won't overheat unless something else is wrong.

Black Stang 97 said:
i am also wanting to change my t-stat to a 180*...what brand and from where do you guys recommend?? i bought one a while ago and made my car almost over heat, so i returned it...

I got a ford one made for the latest retired Lightning truck. Went down a full letter in the word "normal", so I know I'm running cooler, just not sure how much. No chip so the fan still comes on later.

DBMSTNG said:
not unless it was a bad t-stat. all it does is allow the coolant to circulate to the radiator sooner. so when the engine hits 180*, it opens up instead of 192*. as long as the t-stat is open at or before 192*, the car won't overheat unless something else is wrong.

Yeah, I know ... and after a while it is only hot coolant being constantly circulated and when my car is stopped (no air cooling the coolant in radiator) it would overheat.

I should buy a tuner so I can adjust crap like that but yeah, that was my issue.

McTeague said:
I would agree with the parts counter guy, your car is tuned for 195.

Also, do not get on your car when it is cold dude! :notnice:

yeah, i know. i dont do it much, it just the only time she really has any off the line kick.

triggz said:
180* tstat here for a long long time. I eventually got a predator and tuned it, and it helped more (have an autometer water temp gauge to monitor).

can you give me a quick run down of what temps to set the fan speeds for? there are several settings for on and off temps and i want to make sure i get it right.

vld said:
can you explain?

the reason for the t-stat is to allow your engine to heat up faster. this reduces engine wear and i believe helps emmisions. the t-stat prevents coolant from circulating until it's temperature has been reached. once the t-stat opens, it allows the coolant to circulate which helps hold the engine at operating temperature. so the t-stat will open at 180* or 192*, whichever t-stat you have. regardless, if you have the stock tune, the low speed radiator fan comes on at 206* and the high speed fan comes on at 220*. the benefit of the cooler t-stat is that it opens up sooner which means you can lower the temps at which the fans turn on in an effort to keep the engine cooler.

DTNODYA said:
Yeah, I know ... and after a while it is only hot coolant being constantly circulated and when my car is stopped (no air cooling the coolant in radiator) it would overheat.

I should buy a tuner so I can adjust crap like that but yeah, that was my issue.

it's not the t-stat! if your car is overheating when idling, your radiator fan probably isn't working or your coolant level is low. it's unrelated to the t-stat. if the car overheats with a 180* t-stat, it's gonna overheat with the stock one too.

DBMSTNG said:
the reason for the t-stat is to allow your engine to heat up faster. this reduces engine wear and i believe helps emmisions. the t-stat prevents coolant from circulating until it's temperature has been reached. once the t-stat opens, it allows the coolant to circulate which helps hold the engine at operating temperature. so the t-stat will open at 180* or 192*, whichever t-stat you have. regardless, if you have the stock tune, the low speed radiator fan comes on at 206* and the high speed fan comes on at 220*. the benefit of the cooler t-stat is that it opens up sooner which means you can lower the temps at which the fans turn on in an effort to keep the engine cooler.

10-4. thanks:nice: