180* thermostat questions

• Sponsors (?)

you dont know what a thermostat is or looks like? A thermostat is almost like the brain of your coolingsystem. in your case (180 degree thermostat) when the engine reaches 180 degrees the fan will turn on and start cooling down your motor. 180 degree thermostats are used to keep your engine running at a cooler temperature. They can be ordered from www.steeda.com

stang976 said:
you dont know what a thermostat is or looks like? A thermostat is almost like the brain of your coolingsystem. in your case (180 degree thermostat) when the engine reaches 180 degrees the fan will turn on and start cooling down your motor. 180 degree thermostats are used to keep your engine running at a cooler temperature. They can be ordered from www.steeda.com
yes but you can pick one up at autozone, pep boys, etc..

stang976 said:

The fans wont turn on at 180*. You need to change that in your ECU. The thermostat simply opens the coolant system up when the motor hits 180*.

One thing to think about before doing this. If you drive you car in the cold weather (for those who it applies to), you will not get the heat you get now unless you change back to the thermostat you currently have. But this would be a good thing for summer, stop/go driving.

DerekStangGT said:
ok, thanks, all good info. so when i buy the thermostat, where/how do i install it?

Drain a bit of coolant out of your radiator (white plastic screw to the passenger side of the radiator(i beleive anyway) Pull the radiator hose out off the top of your intake and undo the thermostat houseing. Note which way the thermostat is facing and install the new one in it's place.. the same way. Reconnect everything and replace the coolant you poured out.

CTGrey02 said:
Drain a bit of coolant out of your radiator (white plastic screw to the passenger side of the radiator(i beleive anyway) Pull the radiator hose out off the top of your intake and undo the thermostat houseing. Note which way the thermostat is facing and install the new one in it's place.. the same way. Reconnect everything and replace the coolant you poured out.

got pics for a dummy?

It is super easy you don't need pics. The big black hose that is coming out of the radiator goes directly into the thermostat housing, unscrew the for bolts and lift up, you'll see it right there. Be sure to put the gasket back in. If you need more info PM me

what the heck?? i went to pepboys, autozone, van's, and ford dealership, and no one had the 180*, only the 195* and 192*. they were all like "i dont think they make a 180*" what the crap is up?? where did you all get yours?

also, trytocatchmy99 has a water wetter and fan switch. what are these, just cooling mods? how do they work?

DerekStangGT said:
what the heck?? i went to pepboys, autozone, van's, and ford dealership, and no one had the 180*, only the 195* and 192*. they were all like "i dont think they make a 180*" what the crap is up?? where did you all get yours?

also, trytocatchmy99 has a water wetter and fan switch. what are these, just cooling mods? how do they work?

for some stupid reason, they don't have an updated list on their computers. ask for a 180* t-stat for a 1996 4.6L Thunderbird. it's the exact same thing. that's what i did.

DBMSTNG said:
for some stupid reason, they don't have an updated list on their computers. ask for a 180* t-stat for a 1996 4.6L Thunderbird. it's the exact same thing. that's what i did.

oh thanks. this would have been good to know BEFORE i went out. lol