1965 Starter spins

notny41

Aug 15, 2004
Minnesota
I'm starting a new thread because I had asked a question in Pronkie's post (thinking he had fixed his problem) but since his is still ongoing, I didn't want to keep taking away from his troubleshooting.

I have an issue where when my car is cold the starter seems to engage just fine, or at least fine for the first attempt.

Then if I drive her around for a bit and turn the engine off, the starter will turn the engine just enough for the first piston to fire and then the starter goes into spinning mode without the engine running. It is like at the first sign of hp from the engine the starter disengages. Which I'm sure it by design, but not quite that early.

I am usually ok if I give it just a little gas while trying to start the warm engine and then it revs way up once it kicks, scaring anyone around with the loud dual exhaust. If it doesn't go though right out of the gate when it is warm, I could be there for 10-15 twists of the key before it actually engages with the flywheel.

I hate spinning starters. It is very embarrassing to have a nice old car and be sitting in front of a busy resturaunt trying and trying and trying to start it... :nonono:

So I am wondering what is my first attempt at troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If originality does not matter, You might want to invest in one of those high torque mini starters. They are pretty cheap on Ebay and they really work. I also like the mechanical sound they make.

Oh, by the way - here is some info that makes me question the originality of the transmission/engine combo. I'm pretty sure the transmission is not original. The reason I think so is that it has a B&M shift lever with a Hurst-like knob on it. The shift pattern is 4-speed with reverse to the left and up (I think most had reverse to the right and up). Also, the reverse lights are operated by a toggle switch attached under the dash. And the center console shift plate has been cut in half right where the shifter hole is.

Engine is a 289 4v (originally was a 2v).

Just wondering if the transmission was changed out if that would make a difference in how the starter operates.

notny41 said:
The shift pattern is 4-speed with reverse to the left and up (I think most had reverse to the right and up).

I think Toploaders at least are left and back for reverse. I was reading on here that some(all?) Hurst Ford shifters flip the reverse arm(on the trans) around so its left and foward to eliminate hitting reverse on the 1-2 shift.

For the starter, I didnt know there were seperate parts for auto and stick cars like pabear said. If you have the right one, I would say the bendix is just about gone. A rebuilt is only $30.

pabear89 said:
Sounds like and auto changed to manual.
The starter will do what your discribing, there is a different part number for each type.
Get one for a manual trans and count the teeth on yours.
The one you have is prob for automatics.

PB

I use a starter for automatics on my toploader and my T-5 without problems. It is when I use the manual starter on my manual tranny that I run into trouble. But, that might be it in this case. The bellhousing is possibly made to use the manual tranny starter.

Is it a Hurst shifter, because like someone else said the reverse is to the left and up! That’s where mine is with the Hurst shifter! And as for the starter your flywheel might have some bad teeth or the starter is on its way out! I had a brand new one go on me! I just went to Napa a got a replacement starter for $40.00 and I think the warrantee is 3 or 4 years! Bolted right in and had no problems yet! Knock on wood! :banana: