1966 Mustang Turning Off

Prophecy007

Oct 31, 2003
For some reason my 66 turning off. When I turn it on it feels like its gonna turn off, right about when I push the gas and let it go it turns off. It seems and it doesn't sound the same it feels like theres alot of air when I push the gas instead of the roooom sound. I know this mights sound stupid so go easy. Any Ideas. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I was driving it around the block because it hadn't been turned off for a while. Its been cold and raining, I go around the block and see that it has no gas the car dies, I make a huge line of traffic with no one to help me push. I tried turning it on, but kept dying when I could hit the gas. I told my brother to go get some gas today, then he drove it down to the gas station to get more. After we tried turning it on the same thing kept happening. Kept dying when I hit the gas and let it go. Realllyyyy pissing me off. I've checked the fuel filter and fuel pump. Hope its nothing expensive. Thanks

Update people-

I have the car at my house right now and yes it was a choke problem but also other factors.

Spark plug gap and points. Not to mention the tunning on the 2 barrel was off. Lets just say 5 turns too much.

The stock stock y pipe exhaust was clogged or at least it seemed that way. None the less it was hitting againts the differential making a clank noise.

So far I have pulled the intake, carb and exhaust system off.

The intake was replaced with an edelbrock, and the carb with an edelbrock 4 barrel, exhuast well I was going to put on a nice set of ceramic coated headers but they did NOT fit. Even though in the catalog it says will fit 65-70 mustangs. So for now it's just getting aluminized piping along with 2 chamber flowmasters and keeping the exhaust manifolds. On a good note about exhaust manifolds these are not cracked :) and will not cook the starter during the summer.

It was like a refresher course. Where as I have been so concerned with fuel injection and wiring I have enjoyed not dealing with that for a day. :)

Tomorrow it should be ready to roll. I'm sure Prophecy007 will enjoy having his car back running how it should.

A choke is a plate that restrics air flow to the engine, so it's "choking" the engine. The only point of a choke is for cold start ups when a rich mixture is required to keep the engine running, but once it warms up, the choke must be turned off, otherwise when you open the carb butterflys more (pushing the gas petal), you will cause the engine to pull in way too much gas, which will kill it. Look for a metal plate at the very top of your carb on your air horn. When you open the choke all the way use should then be able to see butterflys for the carb.

-Shaun